New to the 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
andrew85
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (3)

Re: New to the 14ers

Post by andrew85 »

I did Challenger back on Memorial Day weekend 2018 and there was still a lot of lingering snow past Willow Lake and along the standard route, ended up having to detour up to the west ridge earlier than I would have liked on much more difficult terrain to avoid it. I had fully intended to continue to Kit Carson, but I could clearly see that the Avenue was still holding snow and without crampons it didn't feel safe continuing. Didn't want to drive all the way back to Crestone so I ended up coming back for Kit Carson from South Colony Lakes a year later, super long day but a worthwhile option.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Who said camping around Willow Lake would be silly? It's a gorgeous area. The best part is there won't be any bugs in May.

Things I wish I would have known? Hmmm. The only thing that comes to mind is the creek above the lake should be running pretty high. Could be a challenge to cross. So bring your flip flops! Other than that, what could go wrong?
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

calee1418 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm I am getting my plans together to make a trip up Challenger and Kit Carson. This will be my first trip up a 14er. What are things you wish you would have known before going and how silly would it be to camp under willow lake in mid May?
I think you spot the trend here @calee1418.

But don’t get discouraged - it’s a good question and we’re glad you asked. There’s no shame in that at all.

Everyone here just wants everyone else to be able to enjoy their hikes safely, hopefully summit if possible, and get home to their people.

+1 for the Quandry, Biersdadt options in May for a first time. It’s likely to be more successful and enjoyable and help you test out all your kit for tougher climbs. That’s the way I look at it.

Have fun whatever you end up doing :)
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

pbarn wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:53 pm
calee1418 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:02 pm I am getting my plans together to make a trip up Challenger and Kit Carson. This will be my first trip up a 14er. What are things you wish you would have known before going and how silly would it be to camp under willow lake in mid May?
I think you spot the trend here @calee1418.

But don’t get discouraged - it’s a good question and we’re glad you asked. There’s no shame in that at all.

Everyone here just wants everyone else to be able to enjoy their hikes safely, hopefully summit if possible, and get home to their people.

+1 for the Quandry, Biersdadt options in May for a first time. It’s likely to be more successful and enjoyable and help you test out all your kit for tougher climbs. That’s the way I look at it.

Have fun whatever you end up doing :)
Really good post/response. And I agree with these sentiments.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I won't echo all the good comments on KC/Chall, as they are generally sound advice.

Maybe you could share some of your background and experience and you'd get some better recommendations.

For the actual hike to Willow Lake, that's a nice hike in itself and the basin up there is a real cool place, so if you wanted a scenic hike and not necessarily do a 14er that still could work and you can camp in one of several places below or above the lake.

To give you an idea of what conditions in May could be like, below are a couple shots from a trip we did in the end of May ~10yrs ago. Note snow on upper route to KC above and further down in the willows.

We ended up turning around given the late time we got there and what I felt were poor snow conditions higher up and opted to do it another day.

FYI, if not still frozen and you happen to still see a canoe in the lake, don't get in it...some unfortunate things have happened there.
Attachments
DSC_499510x-.jpg
DSC_499510x-.jpg (222.46 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
DSC_5049-10x.jpg
DSC_5049-10x.jpg (281.36 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
DSC_4986-10x.jpg
DSC_4986-10x.jpg (207.88 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

nyker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 pm [
FYI, if not still frozen and you happen to still see a canoe in the lake, don't get in it...some unfortunate things have happened there.
The canoe has been gone for at least 3 years.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

andrew85 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:36 am I did Challenger back on Memorial Day weekend 2018 and there was still a lot of lingering snow past Willow Lake and along the standard route, ended up having to detour up to the west ridge earlier than I would have liked on much more difficult terrain to avoid it.
2018 was extreme drought year. The snotel curve is DOUBLE that year.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/st ... tark21.gif
kalebschumaker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kalebschumaker »

Did you summit? Try? Hoping to attempt this weekend.
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

nyker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 pm FYI, if not still frozen and you happen to still see a canoe in the lake, don't get in it...some unfortunate things have happened there.
As someone else mentioned, it's not there anymore but can you expand on this some more for those of us who are unaware? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious if you have a link or more info to share on this. I love that area around Willow lake with the exception of hiking through all those wet willows in the dark. I ended up soaked!

Thanks
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

WVMountaineer wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:53 pm
nyker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 pm FYI, if not still frozen and you happen to still see a canoe in the lake, don't get in it...some unfortunate things have happened there.
As someone else mentioned, it's not there anymore but can you expand on this some more for those of us who are unaware? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious if you have a link or more info to share on this. I love that area around Willow lake with the exception of hiking through all those wet willows in the dark. I ended up soaked!

Thanks
There used to be a canoe that someone brought up and then left at Willow Lake for others to use. Several years ago someone capsized while using the canoe and drowned. It has since been removed because of this.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mitsugi »

In the wettest Spring in 100 years in Colorado, you're going to cut your teeth on Difficult 2's and East 3's? As a person who was new to 14ers about 2 years ago, and have since done 17 of them, I would say there are probably easier and therefore, more enjoyable hikes. Trust me, all the 14ers offer a satisfying amount of effort. I would try, Gray's, Bierstadt, Belford, Quandry, etc..
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Mitsugi wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:00 am
In the wettest Spring in 100 years in Colorado...
It was the wettest spring in the Denver area, but most of the rest of the state is in a drought.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"