Cristo Couloir & Edwardian Access

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cfischer
Trip Reports (0)

Cristo Couloir & Edwardian Access

Post by cfischer »

Hey, all. I'm looking at doing either Cristo or the Edwardian soon. Has anyone been up the access roads recently, or know a good place to check the access road conditions? I have a Prius, which isn't exactly an off-roading vehicle...
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Cristo Couloir & Edwardian Access

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

https://14ers.com/php14ers/threport.php?recnum=8173
https://14ers.com/php14ers/threport.php?recnum=8174
These were taken from the Trailheads section... no current one on Blue Lakes (Tenmile).
*Edit*Here is one for Cristo from the Conditions section:
https://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_e ... cnum=19794
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

Did Cristo Couloir last Saturday. Gate closure 0.3 miles west of the Quandary Peak winter trailhead. Took an hour to hike 1.8 miles to the reservoir.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir
cfischer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cfischer »

Thanks guys, I'm a lazy hiker, so I'll probably wait until the roads open up further.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

cfischer wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:42 pm Thanks guys, I'm a lazy hiker, so I'll probably wait until the roads open up further.
Laziness during spring snow season = missing spring snow season. A few extra snowy miles is often what it takes for glory.
MichiganBrian
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MichiganBrian »

rleclair wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:00 pm Did Cristo Couloir last Saturday. Gate closure 0.3 miles west of the Quandary Peak winter trailhead. Took an hour to hike 1.8 miles to the reservoir.
Is the road pretty snow covered/a skin? Or mostly hiking on dirt?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

cfischer wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:42 pm Thanks guys, I'm a lazy hiker, so I'll probably wait until the roads open up further.
The problem with that is that is that for many snow routes in Colorado, the season is short.

I have a lot of problems with missing snow season climbs because prime snow climbing season just happens to coincide with prime canyoneering season.

You can do what you want, but my own advice (providing that you might want it) is to just go if you think conditions are in. Road closures are just minor inconveniences.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

The road was snow free 99% of the way. The last couple hundred feet had easy snow to walk around. Cruiser road. Descended standard route and 0.3 mile walk to my 4Runner.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir
MichiganBrian
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MichiganBrian »

rleclair wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:39 am The road was snow free 99% of the way. The last couple hundred feet had easy snow to walk around. Cruiser road. Descended standard route and 0.3 mile walk to my 4Runner.
Perfect - thanks! Means the trail runners are coming along for the trip.
cfischer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cfischer »

Scott P wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:47 am
The problem with that is that is that for many snow routes in Colorado, the season is short.

I have a lot of problems with missing snow season climbs because prime snow climbing season just happens to coincide with prime canyoneering season.

You can do what you want, but my own advice (providing that you might want it) is to just go if you think conditions are in. Road closures are just minor inconveniences.
True, true. I won't be able to head out there until Tuesday, at the earliest, anyway because of my work schedule. But by then I'll have a new helmet.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

If you are truly that lazy of a hiker, you should probably trade in that Prius. :lol:
cfischer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cfischer »

My friend has offered to lift it.

Of course, it figures that avalanche danger would be low on all my work days, but is returning to moderate on Tuesday.
aholle88 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:31 pm
If you are truly that lazy of a hiker, you should probably trade in that Prius. :lol: