Boots or shoes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Boots or shoes?

Boots
33%
Trailrunners/approach shoes
67%

Total votes: 199
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Boots or shoes?

Post by LetsGoMets »

justiner wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm
LetsGoMets wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm
LS Crossover 2.0 - I believe this is built on a Mutant frame. Unbelievable traction in snow, have used on climbs like Castle/Conundrum in spring etc. Always get a blister on my upper heel in them like clockwork if I don't use protection in that area. Worth the quick protective band-aid for the non-weight of a boot in winter/spring where conditions allow.
yeah, totes Mutant with a different upper. Was the lacing a little weird? I found that built in gaiter not as good as I'd like it to be though. They've been discontinued for a while - I used them in '17 for early season scouting. After that were the Urangos, which again were very Mutant-like with a gaiter, but this one was more neoprene-like. I used that for the Mosquito/Tenmile Traverse. That's been discontinued to, to make room for the Blizzard which is such a bad-ass winter shoe, but really only a Winter shoe. I've stretched that one to use for some pretty frigid Winter Longs Peak ascent. I don't suggest it, but they worked and I still have my toes!

The Cyklon'slook positively from the future when compared to the Mutants. I haven't gotten my grubby hands on them yet, but Oh! I'm looking forward to them:

https://www.sportiva.com/cyklon.html

Mutants are still my fav, although the quiver selection is preeeetty nice.

All true things (lacing, gaiter etc). I also have pushed them pretty hard on cold days. They were an interesting shoe for sure with a few quirks but man, built for bagging peaks right up to the edge of needing a mountaineering boot (IMO)!
ReginaThomas
14ers: 45 
13ers: 99 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ReginaThomas »

Used to be team trail runners all the way. Now that I’m getting off the beaten path, I’m 100% converted to team boots. The support for my ankles plus the ability to tackle off trail terrain head on makes a bit of extra weight worth it.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Team "It depends on the situation!!!"
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

BD Quadrants for ski mountaineering
Asolo boots for backpacking
Asics trail runners for everything else
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I'd love to wear my TX3 approach shoes all of the time, they feel like walking in slippers to me; however, I bash my ankles far too much in talus so mid lightweight hikers it is. I am starting this season off with a pair of the new Mid Ultra Raptors after having used the Salomon X Ultra Mid the past few years. I used to wear green superfeet insoles, but I have switched to the oboz ofit insole and couldn't be happier. They don't last as long, but are cheaper and way more comfortable.

EDIT: And if you have not switched to Darn Tough socks yet, try them out.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

montanahiker wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:01 am
SkaredShtles wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:48 am I prefer solid boots due to trailrunners/lightweight boots not giving me enough under-foot support. On rocky, uneven terrain, lightweight shoes/boots really do a number on my feet. Even worse when carrying a significant load.
Same here. If I could find a trailrunner that replicates a boot under foot I'd look into switching.
I'm on like my fourth pair of Oboz now. I think they have a fairly stiff shank which is close to the support on a boot.
cfischer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cfischer »

For what it's worth, and this is admittedly a shameless plug, I work for La Sportiva. So if any of you want to stop into the Boulder store, I can always talk shoes with you, or fit you for a pair.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

If you are in Boulder, you should go to the LS Factory Retail Store just for the spectacle - it's pretty fun to see EVERY LS climbing shoe, boot, and trail runner all at once.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

justiner wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:02 am If you are in Boulder, you should go to the LS Factory Retail Store just for the spectacle - it's pretty fun to see EVERY LS climbing shoe, boot, and trail runner all at once.
i disagree. when i did this, i ended up spending an extra $300 :-#
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
SES_17
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by SES_17 »

Hiking over rocky terrain in trail runners or even a boot with too much flex really beats up my feet. I've probably rolled an ankle just as much in a boot as in a trail runner but I like the security of feeling "locked in" to my footwear so I'm definitely a boot guy. I've been rockin' a pair of Vasque Scree boots for the past 7-8 years but the soles are almost smooth and they leak when wet so I'll be looking for new pair of something soon.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Previously, from 2000 - 2017: trail running shoes (Salomon, Adidas).
These days: Approach shoes for the Class 3/4/5 stuff, bare feet or Chacos for Class 1/2/3. Mountaineering boots for the Cascades.
IG: jc_solitude
mjlucarelli
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 105 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mjlucarelli »

I tried trail runners the summer season after I had to retire my summer hiking boots. After a summer of going off the beaten and rocky ridges they got tore up and barely lasted the season. So last summer I bought another pair of my trusty, and I think pretty light, Merrell hiking boots. I would try trail runners again, but I would probably only wear them on very specific routes. I don't feel I have to be choosey with my boots...they can handle anything.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...except bears, bears will definitely kill you. :shock: