Boots or shoes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Boots or shoes?

Boots
33%
Trailrunners/approach shoes
67%

Total votes: 199
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Boots or shoes?

Post by SkaredShtles »

I prefer solid boots due to trailrunners/lightweight boots not giving me enough under-foot support. On rocky, uneven terrain, lightweight shoes/boots really do a number on my feet. Even worse when carrying a significant load.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

SkaredShtles wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:48 am I prefer solid boots due to trailrunners/lightweight boots not giving me enough under-foot support. On rocky, uneven terrain, lightweight shoes/boots really do a number on my feet. Even worse when carrying a significant load.
Same here. If I could find a trailrunner that replicates a boot under foot I'd look into switching.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

I used to be a boots-only kind of guy until I saw people on here talking about how much they loved trail runners. Got a pair of Cascadia 15s (feet are too wide for LS) last fall and I can't believe I hadn't made the switch sooner. I've been so excited to bring them back out as the weather improves.

I've always dealt with blisters on my feet when hiking. Changing sock thickness/brand/material, lacing styles, GTX vs. non-GTX boots, etc. didn't help. Trail runners fixed this. Never a blister in them, and no break-in period. I worried about my ankles, (since I've broken both numerous times) but I've never really had issues here. A slight ankle roll here-and-there, but they seem easier to maneuver out of vs. boots. When I first started wearing them, there was a bit of an adjustment period, but I actually prefer being able to feel the rock under my feet and the additional range of motion in my ankles now on Class 2-3 stuff. And obviously the reduction in weight is an added benefit.

One final thought: You know the days out on the trail, chugging along, working up a sweat--the air is hot and muggy, and even in the shade, you are just miserably hot. Few things are as refreshing in this moment than the feeling of that random cool breeze that brushes through the trees and washes over your face and neck...Now imagine you can feel that same breeze on your toes. Pure bliss.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

I really prefer boots for any terrain where I might need the added support, such as scrambles or Class 3 terrain. I'd be fine wearing trail runners on a nice, Class 1 trail but anything beyond that I choose boots.
Hiking when possible
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Seems a little too oversimplifying to put them in this one or the other other mutually exclusive light. They're both tools appropriate for different scenarios, each with positives and negatives.

If you have strong ankles and a light load, why not opt for trail runners? Chance of encountering snow and needing to kick steps or don crampons? Or you just need that additional support for long days? Boots.

I prefer to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time so I usually default to trail runners. Most snow can be bypassed in the summer.

For anyone who questions the effectiveness of trail runners in cl3+ terrain, look at the Boulder folks who run the Tour De Flatties every summer.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

montanahiker wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:01 am Same here. If I could find a trailrunner that replicates a boot under foot I'd look into switching.
They do make low top boots - this is one I used for guiding:

https://justinsimoni.com/2018/10/13/rev ... spire-gtx/

I do prefer a softer, more flexible midsole myself, but this model is super popular.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Jorts wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:33 am Seems a little too oversimplifying to put them in this one or the other other mutually exclusive light. They're both tools appropriate for different scenarios, each with positives and negatives.
This is a very good point. I do use "regular shoes" for simple day hikes on easy trails.
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Boots, all day. They make me feel like a Panzer tank. Plus, my ankles seem to have a mind of their own sometimes w/o support.

I recently ditched my all leather boots after 20 years for new-fangled boots. Holy cow, they're light! So, now, without concerns of extra weight, it seems like a no-brainer. But to each his own.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Some general trail runner thoughts on my experience.

LS Mutants - Usually get ~200 miles out of a pair. Generally my go-to for Class 3+. Also have run trail marathons in them, comfortable, stable and grippy. Simply bomber. Day trips up Kit Carson N Ridge and the like are right in its wheelhouse.

LS Ultra Raptors - My foot is too wide for the fit, but my partners that use them have similar feels to how I view the Mutants.

LS Bushido I & II - The II's are pretty fantastic, generally my go-to for up to Class 3. Regular 15+ mile days on them (think Lake Como @ 8,000 feet to B&E in a day or Snowmass East Slopes in a day) and generally comfortable and extremely stable. ~250 mile range is generally when I replace.

LS Akira - I generally use this as a backpacking shoe that I can also scramble in (Mount Muir in CA for example). I've gone through two pairs, one rode better than the other. I did get a blister on a backpacking trip from them, but I generally think the socks of choice were to blame (socks are their own discussion). ~250 miles.

LS Crossover 2.0 - I believe this is built on a Mutant frame. Unbelievable traction in snow, have used on climbs like Castle/Conundrum in spring etc. Always get a blister on my upper heel in them like clockwork if I don't use protection in that area. Worth the quick protective band-aid for the non-weight of a boot in winter/spring where conditions allow. Gaiter starts to deteriorate after ~250 miles in both pairs I've had.

Saucony Perrigrene - One pair, ~150 miles. I really wanted to like them. Comfortable, but felt not stable enough especially when you compare it to a Bushido. Fell apart on me after some Class 1-2+ climbs.

Brooks Cascadia - Fit was awful, returned after a climb of Sunshine/Redcloud and a descent down Sunshines loose gully.

Altra Lone Peak 4.5/5 - Over the last year or so I trail run exclusively in these, but would not climb alpine peaks in them. Flimsy/not enough support when compared to a solid Sportiva.

Altra Superior 4 - Wear around shoes for me, prefer the slight bulk and support on rocky terrain of the Lone Peaks for running.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

LetsGoMets wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:37 pm
LS Crossover 2.0 - I believe this is built on a Mutant frame. Unbelievable traction in snow, have used on climbs like Castle/Conundrum in spring etc. Always get a blister on my upper heel in them like clockwork if I don't use protection in that area. Worth the quick protective band-aid for the non-weight of a boot in winter/spring where conditions allow.
yeah, totes Mutant with a different upper. Was the lacing a little weird? I found that built in gaiter not as good as I'd like it to be though. They've been discontinued for a while - I used them in '17 for early season scouting. After that were the Urangos, which again were very Mutant-like with a gaiter, but this one was more neoprene-like. I used that for the Mosquito/Tenmile Traverse. That's been discontinued to, to make room for the Blizzard which is such a bad-ass winter shoe, but really only a Winter shoe. I've stretched that one to use for some pretty frigid Winter Longs Peak ascent. I don't suggest it, but they worked and I still have my toes!

The Cyklon'slook positively from the future when compared to the Mutants. I haven't gotten my grubby hands on them yet, but Oh! I'm looking forward to them:

https://www.sportiva.com/cyklon.html

Mutants are still my fav, although the quiver selection is preeeetty nice.
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

I've learned that I must walk like a weirdo, because every time I wear shoes or boots with remotely stiff soles, I get really bad heel blisters pretty much immediately. So I try to find running shoes with flexible enough soles and enough traction, which sometimes gets challenging. Anything with lots of snow though, I break out the boots and just resign myself to blisters for the next several days.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Depends on the day, trail, terrain, weather conditions, and who I'm with. I go back and forth between runners and boots with ankle support.