Fording Animas to access Noname Basin---train dropoff North of Needleton?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Fording Animas to access Noname Basin---train dropoff North of Needleton?

Post by rdp32 »

Has anyone here ever tried getting off the Silverton/Durango train a mile or so North of the Needleton drop, then crossing the Animas to get into the Noname Creek basin? It seems like this would be a better way to access that basin than the typical route from the Needleton stop, since it avoids the Watertank Hill. I read about it here (https://www.climb13ers.com/colorado-13e ... name-creek) but I don't recall ever hearing about this option in the past, so I was wondering if any others have had success getting dropped off at that spot.

Here is the quote from the above link:
We found in 2012 that it was possible to persuade the engineer to allow us to get off the train when it stops at the "Needleton Watertank," to re-supply with water, a little over a mile north of the Needleton drop. He had us stash our packs under a seat on one of the cars instead of throwing them into the baggage car and had us make a quick departure when the train stopped so as not to delay it any. From that drop point, we were able to a walk north, off, but along the tracks, until we came to a spot across from Noname Creek where we could ford the Animas. Doing this saved the over two mile long and difficult hike from Needleton on the east side of the Animas that goes up and over "Watertank Hill." It also saves the difficult task of following the sometimes obscure trail that can be easy to lose in a place or two, and it saves a considerable amount of time. But there is one caveat - in many years, it will not be possible to ford the Animas River until August some time, if even then. To discern if it's possible to do so, we used stream flow data to determine the CFS river volume. Our advice is that the streamflow must be under 150 cfs. Use the following link to make your determination: waterdata.usgs.gov.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Fording Animas to access Noname Basin---train dropoff North of Needleton?

Post by justiner »

8ball.png
8ball.png (969.37 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

As I understand it now, the train doesn't stop at Elk Park. That may be a new thing for this season with the altered hiker schedule. But if they don't, you'll have to suffer Watertank Hill (which does suck, big-time).
I'm buying tickets next week. So I'll find out definitively.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

this is not worth the trouble to save a few miles
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Feel free to try I guess but I wouldn't count on the train staff doing something they're not supposed to/allowed to. Also that river is a river. If you're going to try to ford it, have a good team together and a good plan. Plan on your gear getting wet.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

rdp32 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:11 am Has anyone here ever tried getting off the Silverton/Durango train a mile or so North of the Needleton drop, then crossing the Animas to get into the Noname Creek basin? It seems like this would be a better way to access that basin than the typical route from the Needleton stop, since it avoids the Watertank Hill. I read about it here (https://www.climb13ers.com/colorado-13e ... name-creek) but I don't recall ever hearing about this option in the past, so I was wondering if any others have had success getting dropped off at that spot.

Here is the quote from the above link:
We found in 2012 that it was possible to persuade the engineer to allow us to get off the train when it stops at the "Needleton Watertank," to re-supply with water, a little over a mile north of the Needleton drop. He had us stash our packs under a seat on one of the cars instead of throwing them into the baggage car and had us make a quick departure when the train stopped so as not to delay it any. From that drop point, we were able to a walk north, off, but along the tracks, until we came to a spot across from Noname Creek where we could ford the Animas. Doing this saved the over two mile long and difficult hike from Needleton on the east side of the Animas that goes up and over "Watertank Hill." It also saves the difficult task of following the sometimes obscure trail that can be easy to lose in a place or two, and it saves a considerable amount of time. But there is one caveat - in many years, it will not be possible to ford the Animas River until August some time, if even then. To discern if it's possible to do so, we used stream flow data to determine the CFS river volume. Our advice is that the streamflow must be under 150 cfs. Use the following link to make your determination: waterdata.usgs.gov.
My $.02: 2012 was a really low waterflow year for the Animas. While the snowpack in that basin is way below normal this year, it's hard to imagine the Animas flowing as low 150 cfs. Just crossing Noname Creek in early July 2016 was tricky. Watertank hill sucks but probably not as much as trying to ford the Animas.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Watertank Hill is overhyped IMO. It's steep and loose, but very short. I would not factor in this feature for decision making.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:08 am Watertank Hill is overhyped IMO. It's steep and loose, but very short. I would not factor in this feature for decision making.
Agreed, generally. But it sucks if it's wet.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the consensus is that it's not worth it and the standard route is the standard route for a reason (as is usually the case). I'm actually a little surprised at how many responses I got so quickly; maybe that basin is more heavily-explored than I expected.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

rdp32 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm Thanks everyone. Sounds like the consensus is that it's not worth it and the standard route is the standard route for a reason (as is usually the case). I'm actually a little surprised at how many responses I got so quickly; maybe that basin is more heavily-explored than I expected.
The place sucks...
Needles.small.jpg
Needles.small.jpg (163.21 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

Side note- I've heard so much about Watertank Hill but have rarely, if ever, seen good photos of it. Anyone willing to share some?
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

stoopdude wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:51 pm Anyone willing to share some?
Hiker guy just did a jagged TR and there’s an image in it. From the top. ;)

Wildwanderer also has a jagged TR with several pics.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase