Kite Lake, Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat Open?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lbethel
Trip Reports (1)

Kite Lake, Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat Open?

Post by lbethel »

Anyone know if Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat from Kite Lake has opened up?
Omatt89
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kite Lake, Lincoln, Cameron, Democrat Open?

Post by Omatt89 »

Closed
heartbraden
Trip Reports (0)

Post by heartbraden »

Why did you say it was closed? I hiked it on the 1st and 2nd. Gates open, road is plowed to trailhead. Several people enjoying the peaks. Definitely open. Did you even go up there and look or just guess??
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

It had been closed by the nearby property owners for a while (though there was much debate about to what extent they could legally restrict access) but per an agreement with the nearby town of Alma it was set to reopen again at the start of June.

Haven't specifically verified that myself but from the above report it appears that the agreement did indeed go through.
cthomson828
14ers: 6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cthomson828 »

A bit off subject, but are you allowed to sleep overnight in your vehicle at the trailhead?
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

cthomson828 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm A bit off subject, but are you allowed to sleep overnight in your vehicle at the trailhead?
That's kind of a grey area - there are designated camping spots near the trailhead and "no camping" signs at the trailhead itself but not "no parking" signs.

So putting up a tent at the trailhead itself is definitely not allowed but parking seems to be allowed. So if you're permitted to drive up, park your vehicle and start hiking then is there really a major difference if it takes you a little time after parking (say 5 or 6 hours...) before you get out of your vehicle?

Depends on how you interpret "no camping"....

But whatever your interpretation please don't be one of the people that makes a mess - Leave No Trace.
Imcp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imcp »

Also dispersed camping below the trailhead is pretty common. There seems to be publicly owned wilderness a few dozen yards below the trailhead because there were so many people camped out down there last time I was up there that my group was able to get one of the real campsites on a Friday evening.
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

It is closed. Soon there will be communication coming.
Never,never give up!.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

So the gate is open, but it's still closed? :-k
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Here's what I found on reddit. Someone there said that they spoke to the property owners and they confirmed it's still closed. The gate is apparently open so that people can access "other areas." It also sounded like maybe the owners weren't the ones who opened it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/14ers/comments ... ed_please/
cthomson828
14ers: 6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cthomson828 »

daway8 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:48 pm
cthomson828 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm A bit off subject, but are you allowed to sleep overnight in your vehicle at the trailhead?

But whatever your interpretation please don't be one of the people that makes a mess - Leave No Trace.
Having worked for Land Rover for 20 years, Leave No Trace is something I know quite well.
HikerDan75
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerDan75 »

I understand that the land owners have closed the 14ers around kite lake but can hikers access Buckskin and Loveland from this trailhead?
Nil sine Numine