Cats in Yankee Boy Basin?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sarahw
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Cats in Yankee Boy Basin?

Post by sarahw »

My husband and I climbed Mt. Sneffels yesterday, 6/2. In upper Yankee Boy Basin I swear I smelled cat urine. On our descent, we ran across some tracks:
366E5237-ECB1-4AE7-95DC-C94EF8571A60.png
366E5237-ECB1-4AE7-95DC-C94EF8571A60.png (722.94 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Does anyone know if cats hang out up in the basin?
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Cats in Yankee Boy Basin?

Post by Jorts »

No banana placement for scale?
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

My guess would be coyote.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hmm...can't quite tell but are those claw marks from the 2 left pads? If so, not a cat, cat claws are retracted unless provoked. I also can't tell from the photo if there's the disctinctive inverted W of a big cat track. Finally, a track in snow will often expand once warmed by the sun, so it's hard to judge the actual size of the animal.

Sorry, I look at a lot of cat tracks when I'm out in the backcountry, it helps to know what's stalking me :lol:

-Tom
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

I was incredibly excited when I saw this thread title. I’m disappointed the content is not what I expected.
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

Will_E wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:12 pm I was incredibly excited when I saw this thread title. I’m disappointed the content is not what I expected.
Glad it wasn’t just me :lol:
sarahw
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sarahw »

Jorts - for some reason my scale photo won’t load...the track is about half the size of my hand. My thumbnail is barely visible on the left if that helps?

Tom, this is great info! I can’t tell if there is an inverted W, but there didn’t appear to be any claw marks.

Will_E and WishIWasInTheMts, you’ve made me curious - what were you hoping for? :lol:
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

A buddy and I were driving to Yankee Boy late one Friday night and got up around the top of the road around 1am just after talking to Brett Maune on his FKT attempt, we were crawling slowly up the road when a Mountain Lion walked in front of the car about 50 yards in front of us. We’re pretty sure it was stalking Brett down the road, but we got in between it and Brett (he was about 1/2 mile down the road).
brerrabbit
14ers: 57  45 
13ers: 189 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by brerrabbit »

sarahw wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:41 pm Jorts - for some reason my scale photo won’t load...the track is about half the size of my hand. My thumbnail is barely visible on the left if that helps?

Tom, this is great info! I can’t tell if there is an inverted W, but there didn’t appear to be any claw marks.

Will_E and WishIWasInTheMts, you’ve made me curious - what were you hoping for? :lol:
I think they (me included) were hoping there were some domestic cats chillin up in Yankee Boy this summer season.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

It would've been pretty cool to have house cats following you up to the summit. Both peaks I did in Mexico, I had dogs follow me all the way to the summit.

Growing up, my cats just followed me to the bus stop. One of them used to bring the kiddos at the bus stop frogs and other creatures it hunted from the stream in front of our house.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Personally, I was hoping someone had asked whether they could take their pet cat with them into the basin. Bonus points if they asked about leash laws.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

sarahw wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:56 pm Does anyone know if cats hang out up in the basin?
I can’t speak to whether that is a mountain lion track or not from the picture but you can pretty much count on the possibility of them being just about anywhere in the Colorado backcountry (and front-country, for that matter). Remember the mountain lion that was spotted high above treeline at Breckenridge ski resort? My husband also spotted one in Castlewood Canyon once and we saw one about a 1/2 mile from our house when we lived in Evergreen. I just got a notice yesterday that one has been spotted twice now near my house, which is about five minutes walk to downtown Golden. On top of that, the elementary school that I work at in Wheatridge, which backs up to a greenbelt, had to go on lockdown this last school year after a mountain lion was spotted at the edge of the property. No outdoor recess so it was a very sad day for the kids. :(
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?