Needleton > Jagged > Pigeon

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Needleton > Jagged > Pigeon

Post by Skimo95 »

Hello 14ers community. I am planning on taking the train into the Weminuche. The plan is to pack in June 11th a bit past the Jagged cabin, climbing the next day. Following this I’m wondering the best route back to Pigeon/Turret before returning to the train on 6/14. Is no name creek > water tank hill the best route possible for starters? Also does anyone have fresh intel on if snowshoes would be needed for the ground travel. Thanks!
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Needleton > Jagged > Pigeon

Post by BKS »

Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Dobsons »

If I were trying to link those groups of peaks I’d take the noname ruby saddle. I think it would be much easier and prettier then dropping all the way back to the river and then taking the ruby approach. The saddle approach to ruby from noname was sublime. A grassy walk up to a gentle saddle under the huge walls of monitor. You could drop the pack at the saddle and grab peak 12 before dropping down into ruby basin as well. I think this would be more scenic and more enjoyable then attacking the noname avalanche debris again, water tank hill, and the ruby approach to get to the upper ruby basin. There are some amazing camping spots in no name right before the trail jumps up to upper noname basin that would put you in prime position to head to ruby after jagged.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Dobsons wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:43 am If I were trying to link those groups of peaks I’d take the noname ruby saddle. I think it would be much easier and prettier then dropping all the way back to the river and then taking the ruby approach. The saddle approach to ruby from noname was sublime. A grassy walk up to a gentle saddle under the huge walls of monitor. You could drop the pack at the saddle and grab peak 12 before dropping down into ruby basin as well. I think this would be more scenic and more enjoyable then attacking the noname avalanche debris again, water tank hill, and the ruby approach to get to the upper ruby basin. There are some amazing camping spots in no name right before the trail jumps up to upper noname basin that would put you in prime position to head to ruby after jagged.
I second this. Dropping into Ruby Basin via noname-ruby saddle is one of my all-time favorite backcountry moments. The hike out on the Ruby Basin 'Trail' is not bad and it deposits you at the Animas, just north of the Needleton Bridge. If you don't have it, then Gerry Roach's 13,800-13,999ft book is useful.
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Stratosfearsome wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:17 am
Dobsons wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:43 am If I were trying to link those groups of peaks I’d take the noname ruby saddle. I think it would be much easier and prettier then dropping all the way back to the river and then taking the ruby approach. The saddle approach to ruby from noname was sublime. A grassy walk up to a gentle saddle under the huge walls of monitor. You could drop the pack at the saddle and grab peak 12 before dropping down into ruby basin as well. I think this would be more scenic and more enjoyable then attacking the noname avalanche debris again, water tank hill, and the ruby approach to get to the upper ruby basin. There are some amazing camping spots in no name right before the trail jumps up to upper noname basin that would put you in prime position to head to ruby after jagged.
I second this. Dropping into Ruby Basin via noname-ruby saddle is one of my all-time favorite backcountry moments. The hike out on the Ruby Basin 'Trail' is not bad and it deposits you at the Animas, just north of the Needleton Bridge. If you don't have it, then Gerry Roach's 13,800-13,999ft book is useful.
I'll third it. I've done that descent...3 times? All solo as I recall. Just a magical place and the route finding on the hike out isn't all that difficult, a bit easier than the ascent; you can see the path winding through the vegetation from above much easier.

-Tom

PS: Keep your eye out for the carved Columbine! You'll pass right by it.
wombat
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wombat »

The monitor- Peak 12 saddle is what you are looking for. (southern circle). We did it a few years ago:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18111

It is quite the slog. You will be descending all the way from Jagged pass down to No Name Creek and all the way back up. Hopefully you can avoid the willows in no name creek before heading up, but you may find the galvanized trash can that somehow made it up there.
Attachments
ECA8AEA8-FB0E-4C74-9DCF-7116B29805A2.jpeg
ECA8AEA8-FB0E-4C74-9DCF-7116B29805A2.jpeg (302.74 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

GREAT use of the Forum with this post! And responses are so beneficial…
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Thank you all. If I were to ascend Ruby and grab Pig/Tur first, camp at "goat wall", and ascend into NoName.. Would you guys take the same route when returning to the train stop, or leave Jagged and head towards Chicago Basin for an easier trail back to Needle Creek? Change of plans... heading out tomorrow morning, SNOTEL looks to be dry around 11k :thumbup:
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

If I had already done P/T and had gone over to do Jagged, I would descend Noname to the Animas and follow the Animas back to the train stop. The trail in Noname is easy to follow, and the only uphill on the way back would be Watertank hill along the Animas.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

If p&t first, then jagged... then go out no name. Do find the trail through the large avy debris field below jagged cabin. It will save you close to an hour, cut up legs, and torn pants. The trail below the debris field is good