Humboldt East Ridge in Summer?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Humboldt East Ridge in Summer?

Post by Mitsugi »

Man Yankee Boy Basin is ranked a 2 out of 6 on this website? And South Colony lakes is a 4 out of 6? We didn't even remotely get close to getting up Yankee Boy Basin when we tried to drive it lol.
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Humboldt East Ridge in Summer?

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Mitsugi wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:56 am Man Yankee Boy Basin is ranked a 2 out of 6 on this website? And South Colony lakes is a 4 out of 6? We didn't even remotely get close to getting up Yankee Boy Basin when we tried to drive it lol.
My recollections on South Colony (though its been a couple of years) is that its pretty nasty right away. There is a stretch of about 1/4 mile right after the 2WD parking that is very rocky and loose. You will know right away whether or not you want to try it. Then again a steep section by the private property is bad, and unfortunately you can't park there.

I remember Yankee Boy being fairly easy to the Governor Basin turnoff, but I have gone past that in years (even on foot). That point is only about 3/4 mile short of the bathroom and traditional "trailhead". Not sure how far you got? I think it gets rougher after Governor Basin and really rough after the bathroom.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day