Camping Options for Elbert

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pruzicka67
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Camping Options for Elbert

Post by pruzicka67 »

Hello all - planning annual 14er trip with my 2 teen boys, thinking Elbert this year, probably late July. Also thinking of camping rather than $200+ AirBnB. Are there good camping options at or near Elbert trailhead? Thanks!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Camping Options for Elbert

Post by justiner »

Tons of spots along the entire road leading up to the trailhead. Find a good spot and claim it!
jscully205
14ers: 58  12  39 
13ers: 116 13 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully205 »

That should be edited to add that the area is very likely to be gangbanged with people that have the same idea, as well many easily accessed dispersed camping spots all up and down Highway 24. Your best bet is to seek something early in the morning on a weekday when people tend to pack up.
14er101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14er101 »

Yes, there are MANY options along the road to Elbert.
My teen boys and I have done Elbert quite a lot of times from the East Ridge (less crowded and good camping)
If you have a 4wd road you can drive as short as 100 yards up from the Elbert Forebay and there are plenty of good camping spots.
Three words to describe mountaineering: Suffer, forget, repeat. Afterall, climbing is just a fancy way of building up a pain tolerance.
Every step you take is one step closer to the top.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

justiner wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm Tons of spots along the entire road leading up to the trailhead. Find a good spot and claim it!
Yet on a summer weekend/holiday this will be like a Walmarts parking lot just before Christmas- packed. And the trailhead parking fills by 6 AM.

There some official campgrounds in the area. There is forest service Halfmoon Camground which doesnt appear to be reservable. (Never stayed there). And there are several campgrounds around Turquoise Lake about 20 minutes to the north. I have stayed in them many times.
mgmotomx
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgmotomx »

I did it in 2018 in July, midweek. Plenty of camping spots along the road :thumbup:
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

mgmotomx wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:11 am I did it in 2018 in July, midweek. Plenty of camping spots along the road :thumbup:
2018 was a much simpler time, oh how I long for those days of yore.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 am
justiner wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:44 pm Tons of spots along the entire road leading up to the trailhead. Find a good spot and claim it!
Yet on a summer weekend/holiday this will be like a Walmarts parking lot just before Christmas- packed. And the trailhead parking fills by 6 AM
smacks oversized thighs let me tell you about bicycles!