Short but tough day hikes near Grand Junction?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Short but tough day hikes near Grand Junction?

Post by Cereal »

I will find myself with 5 to 6 hours to spare in Grand Junction later this month. Any suggestions for a hike?

It would be great if I could get some nice views of the area, since I've never really explored this part of the state. Bonus points will be awarded if I can get a solid (vertical) workout in, too. I'd probably qualify as a pretty quick hiker. Oh, and I am also open to class 3-4 shenanigans, as well.

Thanks!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Short but tough day hikes near Grand Junction?

Post by 12ersRule »

Probably won't take you 5-6 hours, but this is an obvious choice since it's easy to find and has great views:

https://www.visitgrandjunction.com/two- ... t-garfield
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Hikes 9 & 10 below

https://www.visitgrandjunction.com/12-i ... d-junction?

I was in nearby Colorado National Monument recently. Only a few of their hikes gave topography. Most quite scenic.
I didnt see any snow then.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

This one is fun! Go early so you don’t fry and die.
https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/700 ... lock-bench
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Crag Crest loop is fun, #11 on the link from peter303 above. That one is also in the 10-11k range so not hot when its 100 in town.

Garfield is a great short work out, 2k vert in 2 miles. It will be a very hot hike this time of year though. Rattlesnake Arches hike from the 2WD parking is a nice long one, also hot.

Liberty Cap in Colorado National Monument is a good one, shorter out and back to the cap or we did it as a huge loop with a bike shuttle once. (Up Liberty Cap all the way to the road, Black Ridge trail to CCC trail and down Monument Canyon Trail)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:57 am Probably won't take you 5-6 hours, but this is an obvious choice since it's easy to find and has great views:

https://www.visitgrandjunction.com/two- ... t-garfield
Mt. Garfield is indeed a nice hike, but it will be absolute hell this time of year. The route is at an angle that it gets full sunlight and there is no shade what-so-ever on most of the route. Even in March it can feel hot.

Grand Junction is about to hit a major and record breaking heat wave.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I second Crag Crest, but there might be a lot of mosquitoes. If you are going anywhere, but Grand Mesa. Big Dominguez, or Pinyon Mesa only hike in the early mornings as it will be brutally hot later in the day.

Big Dominguez Canyon will be hot, but there are a lot of waterfalls to swim in so it should be OK. Crag Crest and Pinyon Mesa are high enough to escape the heat.
grand junction.JPG
grand junction.JPG (29.68 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

Thank you all for the quick replies! Especially the warnings about frying and dying... I am afraid my 5- to 6-hour window will be in the heat of the afternoon, so this is relevant.

So, the 12.9mi Liberty Cap out-and-back would be really hot? I just realized that I'll be really close to the TH, so it seems like it maybe could work?

Otherwise, the 10.3mi Crag Crest loop sounds like a great choice if I can make good time.

I am afraid that the 16.4mi Rattlesnake Arches and Pollock Bench idea may be a bit too much to fit into my window.

Thanks again!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Yes, Liberty Cap will be brutally hot (at least from the bottom-from the top ot might just be miserably hot rather than brutally hot)

If Crag Crest is too far, do Big Dominguez Canyon and take a dip in the creek and waterfalls when you need to.