Colorado "Native"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Were you born in Colorado?

Born in Colorado and have spent the majority of my life in CO
23%
Born in Colorado but have not spent the majority of my life in CO
2%
Not born in Colorado but have spent the majority of my life in CO
20%
Not born in Colorado and have not spent the majority of my life in CO (yet?)
55%

Total votes: 225
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Colorado "Native"

Post by Scott P »

zerosignal28 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 amWhat I am frustrated with is the people who move here and abuse this state
True, but many natives abuse the state too.
If you're going to move to Colorado, you should respect our community and adapt.
So what you're saying is that anyone moving here should all conform to the values of the democratic party just because the governor of Colorado was democratic in the time period you were born and grew up in, and that people shouldn't have a choice?
Let's not even get into the issues with the overcrowding and cost of living.

You seem to think that only Denver or the Front Range is "Colorado". It is part of it, but hardly the majority of the state. There are 52 people per square mile in the state. If you eliminate the Front Range Cities, which are only a very small percentage of land in Colorado, the population of the rest of Colorado is 7-8 people per square mile. That's only a little more than Wyoming or Montana. 7-8 people per square mile isn't that crowded and a lot of areas in Colorado have a lot less population density than that.
Frankly I just miss the days of Denver being a hidden gem and life moved at a more casual pace.
Why not move then?

As long as people keep having babies, the population will grow. It's not only Denver and it's not only Colorado. Currently, all of the fastest growing cities are in Arizona, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Florida, and North Carolina. The closest a Colorado city gets to the top of the list is Castle Rock at #14.

For large cities though, Denver is the 5th fastest growing. Still, it has been like that for decades. There is no big spike in population growth for Denver; it has been steadily growing at about the same rate since the 1870's. The metro area has been growing at a higher rate than the city of Denver, but the rate has been also fairly steady since about 1930 other than a decline after the 1965 flood. There has been no hyperbolic growth for the metro, the growth rate has remained relatively steady since around 1930. Unless you were born before 1930 or 1870 you were part of the steady growth rate since those two periods.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

As an aside, there's way more of a story behind the "Native" stickers than I would have thought. And they are older than I thought.

The guy who sold them all was born in Utah.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Carl_Healy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:50 pm As an aside, there's way more of a story behind the "Native" stickers than I would have thought. And they are older than I thought.

That's feakin' hilarious. :lol:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
noob_hiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by noob_hiker »

"Being a Colorado native: What it takes"
i hike so i can eat unhealthily
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

You forgot one option on the poll: Don't care/whole concept is bullsh*t. Count++
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Carl_Healy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:50 pm As an aside, there's way more of a story behind the "Native" stickers than I would have thought. And they are older than I thought.

Wow, that was a fun read, good find!
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

zerosignal28 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 am

For me it's not about taking pride in being a native, nor is there anger against those who have moved here to enjoy it. What I am frustrated with is the people who move here and abuse this state, or bring their own beliefs from another state and think that everyone already living here should conform to their way of life. If you're going to move to Colorado, you should respect our community and adapt. The east coast attitude and the west coast entitlement is not welcome. Have your opinions, but stop trying to change us. If where you moved from is so great and you can't stop talking about it, why are you here? Colorado is not what it once was and watching it turn into Eastern California is depressing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Where is the BARF emoji when you need it? Puuuh-lllleeeeeeeze!
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I moved here in '93 and we used to joke that if you had been here more than 18 months you could consider yourself a native. :mrgreen:
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

On a slightly related note:
Look up a video “Lives 2 weeks in Colorado...”
by Dude Dad.
Hilarious
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Matt wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 am
Dave B wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 amNaive.jpg
Dave, those are generic Percocet tabs. Most people will find a way to swallow them, one way or another.
That... would explain a lot, actually
Make wilderness less accessible.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I've lived here 31 years, and at age 63 I calculate that I'll reach half-Colorado-lifespan around January 1st, 2023.

On an unrelated note, I saw this car when I was biking yesterday...
Native.jpg
Native.jpg (149.78 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Jim Davies wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:57 pm On an unrelated note, I saw this car when I was biking yesterday...
The annexation of Lake City is complete, dual citizenship for all Texans including retroactive birth status.
Make wilderness less accessible.