Looking for hiking partner 6/16 - class 3 ridge scramble

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
morganEverywhere
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for hiking partner 6/16 - class 3 ridge scramble

Post by morganEverywhere »

ISO hiking/climbing partner for Wednesday.
What? Full-day adventure. There will be a gradual hike of around 3 miles (through a forest and up a long, long, long hill). We will drink coffee/tea at the top of this hill (around 13,000') and watch the sunrise (warm layers are a must). Following sunrise, there will be a 2-3 mile ridge scramble over class 2, 3, and 4 terrains. The scramble will involve a "bouldering" type situation with rocks in various sizes - between 5 and 12 feet tall. There are some class 4 sections that can easily be skipped if needed which include a fun amount of exposure.
Where? Mt. Helen to Father Dyer Traverse, Crystal Peak, and Peak 10,. The entire trip will be between 8-10 miles RT. The planned elevation gain is approximately 3,600.

When? Wednesday 6/16/21. We meet at my house in Wheat Ridge. I'll be leaving the Denver area at around 1AM and arriving at the destination at around 2:30AM. We will watch the sunrise and then proceed to the scramble/trekking portion of the hike.

Details: A climbing helmet is required for this adventure. I'm personally taking a 33-liter pack with my normal 14er hike kit. If you want tea/coffee for sunrise, I will have my Jetboil with me but you are responsible for carrying your own insulated mug and extra water. P

DISCLAIMER: Hiking partner(s) first come first serve, pending a brief interview for safety/comfort. I do show a preference for 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈 LGBTQIA fam 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈. Choosing to come with me in no way makes me responsible for any injuries or random acts of the universe that may happen - I am not a guide, just someone looking to not be alone on a fun hike.

GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS:
* Climbing helmet
* 30-33 liter pack
* Boots or trekking shoes
* Underarmor - top & bottom
* T-Shirt + hiking pants
* Fleece pullover or fleece hoodie
* Jacket
* Winter hat/beanie
* thin gloves or thick gloves
* Insulated mug
* snacks/food
* at least 5 liters of water
* headlamp with enough batteries to last 4 hours minimum
* Your own medical/hygiene items (bandaids, etc.)
Last edited by morganEverywhere on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Morgan Everywhere (they/them) 🏳️‍🌈 🤘
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Looking for hiking partner 6/16 - class 3 ridge scramble

Post by k_fergie »

morganEverywhere wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:44 am

GEAR REQUIREMENTS:
* Climbing helmet
* 30-33 liter pack
* T-Shirt + hiking pants
* Jacket
* Winter hat/beanie
* Insulated mug
* snacks/food
Fun route, have fun, unfortunately I'm busy, but holy hell that gear list. I don't think I've ever carried 5 liters of water, hyponatremia is calling
I thought, I taught, I wrought
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I have a 33.5 liter pack, am I eliminated?
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:42 pm I have a 33.5 liter pack, am I eliminated?
I don't have any Underarmor to wear on this major expedition, guess I can't cut it either.

Also there's not really any Class 4 on this route and it's definitely more than 3,600 vertical gain. It's about 3,600 feet one-way just from Crystal/Spruce Creeks over Helen to the summit of Father Dyer. Adding on Crystal and Peak 10 is another good chunk. While the scrambling is great and solid and there's not a ton of it don't underestimate the overall stats or amount of talus (especially on Peak Ten) on this route.
Last edited by supranihilest on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:42 pm I have a 33.5 liter pack, am I eliminated?
If you create a list like this you might get some takers for your RGP or Adams trip! :lol:
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I’m out...no insulated mug, hygiene items, or underarmour (don’t wear underwear). :)

Kidding with you. Have a good climb!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
yaktoleft13
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

angry wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:52 pm
If you create a list like this you might get some takers for your RGP or Adams trip! :lol:
Lmao "seeking hiking partner, must be 29 1/2 to 31 1/4 years old. Can be male or female, but must have less hair than I do, just so I don't get a complex. Must have that one Arc'teryx hoodie everyone has, but all other gear must be REI branded so I know they're not foolish with their money. Must drive 2004 year toyota tundra with no more than 150000 miles. Must carry at least two gallons of strawberry fanta (orange not allowed)"

Any takers?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Since this has been sprayed around on so many Facebook groups, I'm curious if anybody's made the grade yet.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

k_fergie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm

GEAR REQUIREMENTS:
* Climbing helmet
* 30-33 liter pack
* T-Shirt + hiking pants
* Jacket
* Winter hat/beanie
* Insulated mug
* snacks/food
Fun route, have fun, unfortunately I'm busy, but holy hell that gear list. I don't think I've ever carried 5 liters of water, hyponatremia is calling
AT LEAST 5 liters of water. :lol: :roll:

Also you put your hands and feet exactly where I tell you at all times, and only breathe on my count.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Trotter wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:31 pm
k_fergie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm

GEAR REQUIREMENTS:
* Climbing helmet
* 30-33 liter pack
* T-Shirt + hiking pants
* Jacket
* Winter hat/beanie
* Insulated mug
* snacks/food
AT LEAST 5 liters of water. :lol: :roll:

Also you put your hands and feet exactly where I tell you at all times, and only breathe on my count.
The list seems rigid at first glance but there are options. You can choose thin gloves or thick gloves! :lol:
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:21 pm
At
Lmao "seeking hiking partner, must be 29 1/2 to 31 1/4 years old. Can be male or female, but must have less hair than I do, just so I don't get a complex. Must have that one Arc'teryx hoodie everyone has, but all other gear must be REI branded so I know they're not foolish with their money. Must drive 2004 year toyota tundra with no more than 150000 miles. Must carry at least two gallons of strawberry fanta (orange not allowed)"

Any takers?
I’m def out… after all that time… didn’t know bout your standards… suppose I’ll just have to move out of state
yaktoleft13
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

BKS wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:15 pm
yaktoleft13 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:21 pm

At

Any takers?
I’m def out… after all that time… didn’t know bout your standards… suppose I’ll just have to move out of state
Your full head of hair excludes you