Looking for hiking partner 6/16 - class 3 ridge scramble

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for hiking partner 6/16 - class 3 ridge scramble

Post by climbingcue »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:01 am
Fair enough. Maybe you just caught me on an unlucky couple of weekends. Flaking is a pet peeve of mine, but unfortunately if you have obligations outside of the mountains, eventually it's inevitable. If there was a failure to communicate promptly with you, I sincerely apologize, as that has happened to me and is frustrating. But I'm glad you've found your people.
That is fair and I accept your apology. Just so you know I am not putting this all on you. I am just not calling out names, but I put it on all the other people in that group as well. From my past life experience cyclists are the biggest flakes on earth.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
morganEverywhere
Trip Reports (0)

Post by morganEverywhere »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:22 am To the original poster-- Your thoughts are in the right place with spending some time to evaluate that a climbing partner is the right fit with respect to goals/safety, etc. I think the actual Gear List Requirement in your post (with really specific items) might seem a bit much for some people; even changing the word to 'recommended' from requirement makes it come off less rigid. I couldn't help but get a little laugh out of the specifics (it does show that your level of preparation is good; however a lot of people are going to have slightly different gear lists and that's probably ok too as long as you are each carrying the essentials). Also, as stated by another poster you can evaluate the person on the phone/via text, etc.

I sincerely hope that you find some partners and good luck on the peaks!
Thank you. I'll keep this in mind. Initially the "required" part was just a climbing helmet, but got so many darn questions in one of my FB group postings I changed it.
-Morgan Everywhere (they/them) 🏳️‍🌈 🤘
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

OP- i think the active members of the facebook 14ers page are (generally speaking) less-experienced than a majority of the active users of this forum. or at least they were when i followed the group- i bailed when all i would see were summer weekend trip reports for bierstadt and greys being "THE HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!!!!! #blessed" so while your babysitting is probably VERY appropriate for zuckerdom, it's likely unnecessary here.

but thanks for a good laugh from the peanut gallery, and happy trails to you! hope you find a partner :)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

morganEverywhere wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:39 pm I get that people get a little discouraged with gear lists, but the thing is not a lot of people know what to bring. Merely a suggestion. I love the people's responses saying "have a good hike" or something like that but dang, some elitists on this forum. I guess I'll stay on Facebook since so many rude folks here.
Your original post came off as very specific, rigid, and demanding. It is good to find partners that are prepared, but telling them the exact size of backpack, the exact amount of water, and exact clothing items you "require" them to wear can sound pretty harsh.

Some friendly advice too, fill in your peak list. It will help potential partners who are deciding if they want to go with you, to see exactly what kind of experience YOU have. Finding a partner is a two way street.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche