Water on Pikes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Water on Pikes?

Post by douglas »

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. I'm hiking the Barr Trail on Sat/Sun and trying to figure out where is the last place I can filter water. We're staying at Barr Camp Sat. night. Any help appreciated.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Water on Pikes?

Post by davebobk47 »

You can fill up at Barr Camp. I don't believe the Summit House is open yet so I would plan on enough to go round trip from Barr Camp.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Thanks!
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

I usually go above Barr Camp about 1/4 mile to stop for water. A small brook crosses the trail. I'm skeptical on water quality near Barr Camp. Also, this early in the summer, the brook at the tree line A-frame shelter should still be running. Water there is coming right out of the mountain and is ice cold.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Does anyone know if the summit of Pikes is open now?
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

The summit opens today. The new Summit House does not open until the 24th.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

davebobk47 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:35 pm The summit opens today. The new Summit House does not open until the 24th.
Thanks!
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

greenonion wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:34 pm Does anyone know if the summit of Pikes is open now?
Yep. My PPA/PPM group is driving up tomorrow morning to do an altitude run/acclimation from the summit.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I got water at Barr Camp and at the A-Frame shelter.
But once the summit house is open, they will have plenty of drinks to sell.

Little to no water coming up the Crags route. Nothing above near or above treeline.

JQ
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

JQDivide wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 am But once the summit house is open, they will have plenty of drinks to sell.
I had one of the worst hiking experiences ever while climbing Pikes, because of said summit house.

I eat very little while hiking/climbing because my appetite goes down somewhat while I do it. But on Pikes, I walked in and saw and smelled all the food, and foolishly ate two chili dogs with everything and a big soda. And a cookie. BIG mistakes.

The walk down was miserable with all that crappy ballast in my stomach. Ugh. No chili dogs mid-hike, ever again. :barf:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

highpilgrim wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 am
JQDivide wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:50 am But once the summit house is open, they will have plenty of drinks to sell.
I had one of the worst hiking experiences ever while climbing Pikes, because of said summit house.

I eat very little while hiking/climbing because my appetite goes down somewhat while I do it. But on Pikes, I walked in and saw and smelled all the food, and foolishly ate two chili dogs with everything and a big soda. And a cookie. BIG mistakes.

The walk down was miserable with all that crappy ballast in my stomach. Ugh. No chili dogs mid-hike, ever again. :barf:
I made the mistake of those donuts and basically s**t my pants on the way down. I’ll never eat anything from there while hiking again.

On Barr at this time of year there will likely be some water running near the A frame. Personally, I’d just fill up a little ways above Barr camp to be safe. NW slopes there is essentially no water aside from the stream that’s pretty close to the trailhead. The other option is to melt snow, but that seems like a lot of work for a day hike.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I've always contributed those donuts to all my Pikes Peak success! I never leave the summit house without polishing off a half dozen, myself!
Attachments
pikes_peak_summit_donuts.jpg
pikes_peak_summit_donuts.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 1243 times