Decalibron?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Decalibron?

Post by Aphelion »

rperth wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:34 am
It’s open officially now. Eff you!!
Really? Hadn't heard, do you have a source?
wolfgangstiller
14ers: 58 
13ers: 103
Trip Reports (4)

Post by wolfgangstiller »

Aphelion wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:12 am
I was there two days ago. The road is dry and open to the end (the campground). The only closure sign is for Bross.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Supposedly it opened this weekend, but I sent a message to CFI just to make sure.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that rperth was encouraging people to go during the negotiations whether it was opened or not. Rperth is a real dick. Ignore him. He doesn't have anything useful to say anyway.

The closure was only meant to last a few weeks, as long as people followed the rules and the negotiations went through. I'll post anything I hear from the CFI.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Nothing on CFI website yet. Would expect to see something there if officially reopened
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

wolfgangstiller wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 pm
I was there two days ago. The road is dry and open to the end (the campground). The only closure sign is for Bross.
The road was always open. Regardless of decalibron closure. But no signs saying closed?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Scott P wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:49 pm
Supposedly it opened this weekend, but I sent a message to CFI just to make sure.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that rperth was encouraging people to go during the negotiations whether it was opened or not. Rperth is a real dick. Ignore him. He doesn't have anything useful to say anyway.

The closure was only meant to last a few weeks, as long as people followed the rules and the negotiations went through. I'll post anything I hear from the CFI.
Welp. According to my friend Scott P, a notorious gate keeper on this forum and my good friend, it is open. He stated he messaged CFI and they personally told him it opened last weekend. So there you go. The gate is open. 😁
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

rperth wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 am According to my friend Scott P, a notorious gate keeper on this forum and my good friend, it is open.
I don't think you understand what gatekeeping is. Asking people to follow rules, closures and to respect private property owners requests is not gatekeeping. In the long run it actually helps keep more places open, which is the opposite of gatekeeping.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:27 am Image
Thou shalt not pass. Unless you are going for a centennials speed record.
hsfedina
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hsfedina »

Scott P - have you heard back yet? I'm flying out next week to do some summitting and was hoping to do Decalibron but won't do it if it's not 'formally' open. I'm at t-7 days before my trip so I'm trying to get my plans in order.

Also - thanks all for the back and forth. As a newbie and an outsider to this community (up until now ? :-D ), it's actually very interesting (truly) to see and hear the dialog and try to understand what people of the community think about. I am trying to learn so thanks all for those willing to put in the effort to converse on these boards, reach out to others, reach out to various other organizations, etc.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

rperth wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 am

Welp. According to my friend Scott P, a notorious gate keeper on this forum and my good friend, it is open. He stated he messaged CFI and they personally told him it opened last weekend. So there you go. The gate is open. 😁
No, they didn't get back with me yet. They have been silent both of the closure and of the opening so I'm not sure what's up.

Democrat.PNG
Democrat.PNG (35.49 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
All of the closed signs have all been removed though and in May the owners said that they would likely only be closed for a few weeks. Here was the old sign:

peakcond19763_1619744522608b570a4964d.jpg
peakcond19763_1619744522608b570a4964d.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
I assume it's open unless someone stole the signs, but if there are any new signs up, don't go.

As far as gatekeeping goes, I wouldn't be so vocal about it if the consequences of poaching the peaks wouldn't have negative consequences on everyone else.

The owners recently said that they want to keep the peaks open to the public as soon as they negotiate a way to release themselves from liability and as long as people respect the rules concerning the trails and closures.

Since the owners have stated that they want to keep the peaks open as long as people respect the temporary closures and rules, that leaves us with two choices.

A. Respect the temporary closures that are hoped to be in place only for a few weeks.
B. Tresspass and ruin access for everyone, perhaps permanently.

The correct course of action is A. And if someone is going to ruin it for everyone else, yes I will vocally "gatekeep" or whatever you want to call it. If it weren't for the fact that trespassing during the negotiations might jeopardize access for everyone, I wouldn't be so vocal.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Yeah! F*cktard ugly mountains in close proximity to one another and above an arbitrary elevation threshold, according to an arbitrary system of measurement, are accessible again!

Definitely worth fighting traffic on 70/285 to hike these gems.
Make wilderness less accessible.