Decalibron?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mkorrub
Trip Reports (0)

Decalibron?

Post by Mkorrub »

I'm interested in doing the Decalibron Loop this weekend, and hitting all 4 peaks. A few questions:

1) First and foremost, is it even opened? I'm reading conflicting reports on whether the trail is closed, private property, trespassing, etc. It would be nice to get a report from someone who has been there recently.

2) How is the road to the TH? I'm hoping to find a dispersed campsite somewhere along HWY 8 near Kite Lake. However, I have a low clearance 2WD sedan. Accessible with slow, careful driving?

3) Is this loop doable for dogs? I have a dog who is a pretty strong hiker (as long as it's not too hot). However, big scrambles can be tough for him. He has summitted Shavano, Quandary, Bierstadt and Elbert.

Thanks!
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Decalibron?

Post by Ptglhs »

1. Which part of "it"? The summit blocks of the mountains are privately owned and access is currently closed, though unforceably so. Kite lake is on public land. Most of the parking is on public land. It's perfectly legal to drive to kite Lake, Park, pay the use fee, camp out there, and hike the trail as long as you avoid the actual private property. It's also relatively unenforceable to close off a section of a mountain above 13,000 feet if it's open below 13,000 feet. Democrat Cameron Lincoln Bross is open far further up than 13,000 feet.

2. I've driven up plenty of times in a Hyundai Elantra.

3. Your dog will be fine.
Mkorrub
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mkorrub »

This is good news, thanks.

Is it possible to complete this loop without going onto private property?

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colo ... jRDDJva8pA
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

No
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Mkorrub
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mkorrub »

But not enforceably so ;)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Mkorrub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 am But not enforceably so ;)
Is this a troll? Current access is being negotiated right now. As to not jeopardize the access, hikers are being asked to (temporarily) stay away. Don't be a complete ass by going and stay away until the access is finalized (which should be soon). Also, stop asking stupid questions.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
davebobk47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Mkorrub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 am But not enforceably so ;)
I'll be sure to let them know you're coming :-D
Scott P wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:37 am Don't be a complete ass
Listen to Scott
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldmanforest »

I think if one has Mt Bross marked off their checklists, they lose the right to be holier than thou about closed summits.
davebobk47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:56 am I think if one has Mt Bross marked off their checklists, they lose the right to be holier than thou about closed summits.
When I climbed Bross in 2006 there were no on-going negotiations about access. Big difference between that and knowingly trespassing during access negotiations.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:56 am I think if one has Mt Bross marked off their checklists, they lose the right to be holier than thou about closed summits.
A lot of us climbed it before the closure. Some of us got permission from the landowners after the closure. Some also do the alternate "summit" very near the summit, which has legal access and is on public land. I have done Bross twice, once before the closure and once with permission from the landowers.

Right now is the worst time to be tresspassing since the owners are willing to open access as long as people follow the rules and it is currently being negotiated. Only a complete ass would climb the peaks right now. An even worse ass would admit intentions of doing so on the public forum. Why not let the negotiations go through and then make the climbs?
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I climbed Bross in 1986, which was long before any access issues. For someone with 'oldman' as part of your username, you seem kind of ignorant about 14er history.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldmanforest »

Some of you may have climbed it legally, but certainly not all of you. Not even me for that matter.
Last edited by oldmanforest on Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.