bugs/mosquitoes---rules of thumb?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Re: bugs/mosquitoes---rules of thumb?

Post by Marmot72 »

I've not yet been to the Winds for sake of comparison, but a hike up Spanish Creek in mid-June was the worst experience of mosquitoes I've ever experienced or even imagined.

I had the permission of the monastery and camped that night in the designated area. The sound of the mosquitoes reminded me of the whine of the motocross track across c470 from Green Mountain in Lakewood, One foray outside the car was enough and, thankfully, when I had to pee around 1 am, they were sleeping. Benners met me that morning around 5:30 or so and we slogged up Spanish Creek. The terrain was dry, most of it was far from the creek and still we walked in a perpetual storm of those bloodsuckers. They did not relent until we reached western edge of the "Bear's Playground," between Obstruction and Crestone.

it was 2019 or 2018. Yuck.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.