Drought

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Drought

Post by timisimaginary »

ker0uac wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:34 pm Yea I've realized this isnt the place to discuss Science
you're right, it's not. if you feel like you have something worthwhile to contribute to the discussion over climate science, then i suggest you actually go to a forum of climate scientists and discuss it there. maybe you'll find more people up to your intellectual standards. you'll quickly discover whether you're up to theirs.

the reality of climate change and what is causing it is a question for science, and trying to debate the question on a forum full of non-scientist mountain hikers is not going to get anyone closer to the truth.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

rmattas wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:47 am this would be funnier if it wasn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXRaTnKDXA
I am not a scientist, but I play one on tv. So now the message is "trust Hollywood"?

In other news, this was sobering. It is a long article, but the information about the toxic dust coming off the dry lake bed was pretty interesting:

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/4/7/2 ... california
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:47 pm In other news, this was sobering. It is a long article, but the information about the toxic dust coming off the dry lake bed was pretty interesting:

A serious drawback to the Great Salt Lake drying up is that the Wasatch gets much of it's snowfall from the lake effect. No lake = no lake effect snow.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:47 pm
rmattas wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:47 am this would be funnier if it wasn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXRaTnKDXA
I am not a scientist, but I play one on tv. So now the message is "trust Hollywood"?

In other news, this was sobering. It is a long article, but the information about the toxic dust coming off the dry lake bed was pretty interesting:

trust the science...here's "the science guy" for you...(very strong language involved) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjXxAVayBEY
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Surprisingly, the broader drought has impacted the Adirondacks in northern New York also, an area known for its prodigious rainfall.
The Ausable River, its source on the shoulders of Mount Marcy is usually well filled until late summer where normal conditions are thinner than the snowmelt-fed Spring time when water is up to its banks.
Here are two shots this year from roughly the same place on the river, one from early April and one scarier one from this week showing very thin water conditions where you can walk across it in many sections.
Normally only those few larger boulders are visible until late summer.
Attachments
adkfisha.jpg
adkfisha.jpg (342.01 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
adkfishb.jpg
adkfishb.jpg (294.04 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

apparently coal mining isn't the only kind of mining causing global warming

i don't know spit about shitcoin mining, apparently it involves a bunch of computers pointlessly running super-energy-intensive complex mathematical operations to produce imaginary money, using lots of power in the process. somehow humans invented this farce. we have truly earned our inevitable extinction.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:23 pm apparently coal mining isn't the only kind of mining causing global warming

i don't know spit about shitcoin mining, apparently it involves a bunch of computers pointlessly running super-energy-intensive complex mathematical operations to produce imaginary money, using lots of power in the process. somehow humans invented this farce. we have truly earned our inevitable extinction.
That covers most of the basics. The kicker is that it isn't even really "money" in the sense of being able to buy stuff with it, or keep it in a mattress and have it maintain its value. Its only real users are ransomware gangs avoiding anti-money-laundering/know-your-client laws. They couldn't make money if their victims had to pay cash.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

seano wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:59 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:23 pm apparently coal mining isn't the only kind of mining causing global warming

That covers most of the basics. The kicker is that it isn't even really "money" in the sense of being able to buy stuff with it, or keep it in a mattress and have it maintain its value. Its only real users are ransomware gangs avoiding anti-money-laundering/know-your-client laws. They couldn't make money if their victims had to pay cash.
nor if they could be easily traced...

Some of the comments from China recently regarding introducing its own cryptocurrency which has an expiration date, "encouraging" citizens to spend to stimulate the economy, would be a bad precedent. Imagine being forced to convert your saved cash into crypto and then being forced to spend it, else it expires worthless, leaving people with zero cushion. ](*,)
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Formation of a Republican Climate Caucus with support from 1/3 of the house, will not directly endorse legislation but seems to have an "awareness" mission.

We'll see, Exxon's been caught once again with their pants down for fueling anti-Climate Science propaganda, I don't think some supposed well-meaning but self-hamstrung caucus is going to accomplish much in the face of multi-billion dollar lobbying power.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/0 ... ing-498526
Make wilderness less accessible.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

Thanks for the article. I know nothing about bitcoin mining except that it exists.

What is the solution? The article says mining is basically people getting paid for (their computers) verifying transactions. I assume that verification is necessary, or people wouldn't pay for it. Are there alternatives? Anyone working on a better model?
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

teamdonkey wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:17 pm Are there alternatives?
Yes!
teamdonkey wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:17 pm Anyone working on a better model?
No!
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

teamdonkey wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Anyone working on a better model?
Sort of, but none seem to be without their flaws, there are some crypto that results in less Kilowatt hours consumed per transaction but then again that might increase as the popularity of the crypto increases. How much energy is consumed globally from the mining/transactions for the thousands of different versions of crypto? Who knows....and how does this compare to the aggregate of payment/currency substitutes? Again, who knows, but you'd need to include fiat currency exchange infrastructure, electronic payments (credit cards, paypal, wire transfers, Google Pay, Apple Pay, Alipay), wholesale swap market, interbank market, etc., all of which use electricity... then other stores of value like gold, commodities (assuming one thinks BTC is a store of value), speculative assets, NFTs, ..the list is long. :-k The impediments for any crypto to becoming mainstream are many including at least the lack of regulation, too fragmented a market, use by bad actors to hide their dealings, volatility in price movements. Also acceptance by main countries, at least G7, all of which have far more stable currencies than any crypto has demonstrated. Remember when folks were pitching the idea of originating mortgage loans in Bitcoin? Imagine if you took a mortgage out 5 years ago in BTC, say for 75 BTC (call it $150k back then if you converted dollars to BTC)...that mortgage now would be $2.5 million you'd need to pay off. Unless you hedged or got paid in BTC over time during that appreciation, you'd be in quite a hole.