Drought

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Re: Drought

Post by justiner »

A nice little rain storm in Twin Lakes, Leadville, Frisco yesterday. Don’t wanna use the M word, but it certainly was a soak.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

@ ker0uac @Vids
Thank you for adding history, context, and intelligence to the conversation.
It’s refreshing amidst the emotional hysteria.
I very much enjoyed reading your contributions.
I should be on a mountain
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Wait, cheapcarsalesman agrees with kerouac?!

Make wilderness less accessible.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Not Colorado, but the Pacific Northwest is supposed to be insanely hot this weekend.

So far the hottest it has ever gotten at EasTac (Seattle) in June is 96 degrees. Tomorrow's forecast ranges from 106 to 108. In Seattle.

Portland is supposed to be 109-115. The hottest June temperature ever recorded there so far is 102 which was also the only June temperature that has been over 100 so far.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

But hey! On the local level our June wildfire problem is clearing up. =D>
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Vids wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:31 pm
I respectfully disagree with your post. A forest fire in itself is not a bad thing, it gets rid of old growth and regenerates new feed for wildlife. If it's not threatening houses I say let it burn. Frankly, there are a lot of areas in CO that have so much dead beetle kill that the forest needs to have a good burn and start over. It's part of the natural cycle, and has been happening since long before we all hiked the 14ers.
Fires are part of the natural cycle, for sure, but I would like to reiterate my post from earlier in the thread and point out that the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is not normal, and it is not part of a natural cycle. This is exactly the complacency we need to move away from, in my opinion.
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

Western drought brings another woe: voracious grasshoppers

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... s-78453460
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

dubsho3000 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:23 am
I respectfully disagree with your post. A forest fire in itself is not a bad thing, it gets rid of old growth and regenerates new feed for wildlife. If it's not threatening houses I say let it burn. Frankly, there are a lot of areas in CO that have so much dead beetle kill that the forest needs to have a good burn and start over. It's part of the natural cycle, and has been happening since long before we all hiked the 14ers.
Fires are part of the natural cycle, for sure, but I would like to reiterate my post from earlier in the thread and point out that the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is not normal, and it is not part of a natural cycle. This is exactly the complacency we need to move away from, in my opinion.
agreed.

"When trees catch fire, the carbon in their timber combines with oxygen to release energy and carbon dioxide. Wildfires are part of the natural carbon cycle, and the carbon dioxide they release is soon absorbed by young trees. But if a forest is cut down, burned, and not allowed to regrow, all its carbon is turned into carbon dioxide that increases the greenhouse effect."

so unless we aggressively replant burned areas, it'll take years to get back to a carbon neutral area. good luck trying to grow saplings in a 1200 year drought.

also, on the subject of the bark beetle. I think it's safe to say containment is out of reach. somewhere out there in the ravaged forest are a few trees that survived the beetle. we need to aggressively find it, study the genetic drift, or what properties that made it resistant, and start procreating them ASAP.

<The great mountain pine beetle outbreak | Diana Six | TEDxUMontana> is a 8 year old talk. we've watched this menace and have done little to anything about it. now we pay the price.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

this would be funnier if it wasn't true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXRaTnKDXA
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Scott P wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:32 am Not Colorado, but the Pacific Northwest is supposed to be insanely hot this weekend.

So far the hottest it has ever gotten at EasTac (Seattle) in June is 96 degrees. Tomorrow's forecast ranges from 106 to 108. In Seattle.

Portland is supposed to be 109-115. The hottest June temperature ever recorded there so far is 102 which was also the only June temperature that has been over 100 so far.
Good to see they are not missing out on the fun, but it’s also worth noting that During the Paleozoic era temperatures were routinely above 100 degrees in the Pacific Northwest
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:35 am it’s also worth noting that During the Paleozoic era temperatures were routinely above 100 degrees in the Pacific Northwest
Is this tongue in cheek? :-k
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

rmattas wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:04 am some deep thoughts going on here...I like to keep it simple, we're in a very bad drought. pour some resources into whatever it takes to put the damn fires out, because we're going to need it in the future.

good luck to all, I hope you guys have a better year than forecast.
You're not wrong about that, but I think what we are witnessing, if we don't get a handle on carbon emissions, is the permanent deforestation of much of the western US. It's simply getting too hot and dry to support trees in many locations. The beetle kill and fires are symptoms of that, more than causes.