Drought

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Drought

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Thanks for the beta, much appreciated
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

shelly+ wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 am when water runs out, people will just have it shipped in with Amazon Prime. people are doing that already.
they'll be shipping it here from Mars before too long.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

welcome to the new normal. congrats to all the climate deniers and climate skeptics (and their backers in the oil/gas industry) who were able to sow enough doubt and confusion in previous decades over this issue to delay action back when smaller, more tolerable changes might have been enough to change course. the actions that would be required to make a significant difference now are still beyond what most people would be willing to put up with, so we'll just keep swirling down the toilet until there's no more water left to flush with. all the doubters who demanded absolute proof before before doing anything about it, well you'll get your absolute proof soon enough, problem is by the time you have your absolute proof it's too late to do anything about it.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Anyone out driving last weekend knows we're doomed if this is human caused.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:10 am Anyone out driving last weekend knows we're doomed if this is human caused.
Even if this turns out to not be human caused there are enough idiots out there, when it comes to campfires, that it may be a matter of when--not if--we get a human-caused one.
Last edited by Urban Snowshoer on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I'm super sensitive to wildfire smoke and I'm already having headaches, sneezing, and asthma attacks even in Denver. Not looking forward to another few months of this at all.
COFitnessJenn
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 17 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by COFitnessJenn »

Makes me sad, nature/wildlife pays the ultimate price for human greed and ignorance.
"Go where you feel most alive and never take simple moments in life for granted." "Mountains have a way of dealing with over confidence. Stay humble, despite how many mountains you climb. "
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

There are now two seasons in the West; winter and wildfire season.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Bale wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:49 am There are now two seasons in the West; winter and wildfire season.
But it wasn't much of a winter at least in the part of CO I live.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

COFitnessJenn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:44 am Makes me sad, nature/wildlife pays the ultimate price for human greed and ignorance.
humanity will pay the ultimate price eventually: extinction.

after that, nature and wildlife will recover and be better off without us. might take a few hundred or a few thousand or a few million years, but the planet will be fine in the end.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

yes hopefully we can turn this one around

but I've always been kind of obsessed with ancestal puebloans

and more and more I think about how a long term drought caused them to have to just abandon everything

hopefully our cities won't end up like old cliff dwellings, where people later wonder why anyone ever lived there in the first place.

because seemingly we are in a drought that is worse than the one that knocked them out
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:04 pm
COFitnessJenn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:44 am Makes me sad, nature/wildlife pays the ultimate price for human greed and ignorance.
humanity will pay the ultimate price eventually: extinction.

after that, nature and wildlife will recover and be better off without us. might take a few hundred or a few thousand or a few million years, but the planet will be fine in the end.
Until the sun goes red giant and the first three planets are swallowed up in the process :-k
I gotta get me an Avatar.