Drought

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Drought

Post by justiner »

Forced migration out of the west would be an incredible reversal of a trend that's been going on for hundreds of years. It would be entirely unprecedented. Where would everyone in Phoenix go?
AT14er
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AT14er »

This is a complicated issue that I don’t know enough about, but I did want to mention that San Diego county has the largest desalination plan in the western hemisphere. https://www.carlsbaddesal.com/ More of these facilities are currently under construction along the coast.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

when water runs out, people will just have it shipped in with Amazon Prime. people are doing that already.
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

shelly+ wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 am when water runs out, people will just have it shipped in with Amazon Prime.
And you get free shipping with Prime, right? Just order 5,000 gallons once a month. Jeff will pay the freight.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Altitude High wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 am
shelly+ wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 am when water runs out, people will just have it shipped in with Amazon Prime.
And you get free shipping with Prime, right? Just order 5,000 gallons once a month. Jeff will pay the freight.
not j/k.... there are people who live in the east mountains in albuquerque who have run out of ground water. they haven't moved elsewhere. they have water delivered by the truckload to their homes. it isn't Amazon.... but it will be when the water runs out everywhere and Amazon realizes it's a market.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It looks like the Roan Plateau/top of the Book Cliffs north of Grand Junction is on fire again. Last year it was the 2nd biggest fire in Colorado's history. It looks like it's burning again, slightly east and right where last year's fire ended.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

Scott P wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:23 pm It looks like the Roan Plateau/top of the Book Cliffs north of Grand Junction is on fire again. Last year it was the 2nd biggest fire in Colorado's history. It looks like it's burning again, slightly east and right where last year's fire ended.
Even the Front Range, which fared better than a lot of other parts of the state this season, has not been immune.

It doesn't take too many idiots to start fires where lightning hasn't already done so--when I read or hear about the number of abandoned campfires that rangers or good samaritans put out, it doesn't give me hope.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Very, very hazy leaving Leadville this evening. The Eagle fire is scaring me.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

The Sylvan Lake fire outside Eagle is up to 1400 acres at last count, that is under 24 hours from it starting. The smoke looks nasty to the south of Beaver Creek which is likely blowing towards Holy Cross. I can see where Leadville mighty be getting it too depending on wind direction. Here in Avon its clear, but as the winds shift we could get some really nasty days ahead. Here is a shot from my office:
IMG_20210621_162305278.jpg
IMG_20210621_162305278.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There are many fires in Colorado, mostly in the western half of the state, but a few in the eastern too:

https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org/fi ... e/colorado

In addition to the drought, this June looks to be the hottest in many weather stations in Western Colorado. Eastern Colorado has been hot too, but most places at least probably won't break the record for the hottest June on record, though some definitely could.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:44 pm The Sylvan Lake fire outside Eagle is up to 1400 acres at last count, that is under 24 hours from it starting. The smoke looks nasty to the south of Beaver Creek which is likely blowing towards Holy Cross. I can see where Leadville mighty be getting it too depending on wind direction. Here in Avon its clear, but as the winds shift we could get some really nasty days ahead. Here is a shot from my office:

I’m heading up to beaver creek this weekend, how worried should I be?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:10 pm
Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:44 pm The Sylvan Lake fire outside Eagle is up to 1400 acres at last count, that is under 24 hours from it starting. The smoke looks nasty to the south of Beaver Creek which is likely blowing towards Holy Cross. I can see where Leadville mighty be getting it too depending on wind direction. Here in Avon its clear, but as the winds shift we could get some really nasty days ahead. Here is a shot from my office:

I’m heading up to beaver creek this weekend, how worried should I be?
Depends on the wind direction, things could get smoky. The fire itself is pretty far from the resort and cut off by above treeline peaks in HCW. If the smoke stays away, you're good. We had no smoke on town, it's all south.

Crews have been working hard today and seem to have a handle on it. Red Table Mountain is to the south and west and is a long above treeline ridge they are trying to use it as a natural containment point and cut it off on the other 3 sides.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day