Climber dies on Pico Aislado

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Climber dies on Pico Aislado

Post by Dobsons »

So sorry to hear of this. I don't know you guys but these events shake me and make me hurt for those involved. Praying for peace for everyone that knew him and those he left behind
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

I am so sorry for your loss.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

So tragic. My heart goes out to Bryan's friends and families. May your memories of him sustain you as you grieve this terrible loss.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

My condolences to you and all Bryan's family and friends.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Words fail to communicate emotions in an event such as this. My deepest condolences to his family, his friends, and to you, Ross.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

That really sucks. Sorry to hear.
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 156 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cloudkicker »

courtc43 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 am Bryan was definitely a one of a kind hiker and friend. He was the only person I knew who could start a hike with one person, and end the day with a whole group of new friends that he met along the way that he genuinely cared about.
That’s exactly how I met him. At the rock of ages saddle over Labor Day weekend. He made a reference to a silly thing Steve wrote once here on the dot com and I picked up on the reference and we were all instantly friends. Super funny dude in that short amount of time I knew him.

He invited me out to hike with him a couple times after that rock of ages meeting, and I sadly never got the chance.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Ross, thanks for sharing this heartfelt account. Sorry to learn of this.
My thoughts go out to Bryan, his friends and family.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Ross - Thanks also from me, for sharing this. I very recently was on 14er trip that could have ended terribly for one in our group, but was fortunate things turned out well. So very sorry for this outcome, and I cannot imagine how you feel. Stay strong - thanks again for sharing.

Stu
Atlasjb87
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Atlasjb87 »

cloudkicker wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm
courtc43 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 am Bryan was definitely a one of a kind hiker and friend. He was the only person I knew who could start a hike with one person, and end the day with a whole group of new friends that he met along the way that he genuinely cared about.
That’s exactly how I met him. At the rock of ages saddle over Labor Day weekend. He made a reference to a silly thing Steve wrote once here on the dot com and I picked up on the reference and we were all instantly friends. Super funny dude in that short amount of time I knew him.

He invited me out to hike with him a couple times after that rock of ages meeting, and I sadly never got the chance.

That's the same weekend my wife and I met Bryan -- on Wilson Peak. He was cracking us up and I knew I wanted to be his friend. And then we ended up being coworkers.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

Atlasjb87 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 pm
cloudkicker wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm

That's the same weekend my wife and I met Bryan -- on Wilson Peak. He was cracking us up and I knew I wanted to be his friend. And then we ended up being coworkers.
He really was the greatest uniter of people. Since we became friends, almost every hike we did together we’d always gain more friends from meeting people on the trail. It was remarkable.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

This is extremely sad and my condolences to his family and friends. I never met him personally, but he seemed like a good person who loved the mountains and adventures.
If the community can help in any way, feel free to ask for help here. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me.
I understand that the loss will be hard for his family, the AAC has lot of good resources to help people. Please do not neglect your mental health. -https://americanalpineclub.org/grieffund
Last edited by Bombay2Boulder on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.