Climber dies on Pico Aislado

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Climber dies on Pico Aislado

Post by DArcyS »

A hard story to read, condolences to friends and family. Stay strong, Ross, hoping the passage of time numbs the pain soon enough.
triordie
Trip Reports (4)

Post by triordie »

Ross, a tough loss. Hang in there.
Condolences to Bryan's family and friends.
AnastasiaC
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (1)

Post by AnastasiaC »

Sincerest condolences to you, and Bryan's family and friends. I hope writing this brought some closure. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is for you, and everyone close to your friend. May he rest in peace.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

I’m at a loss for words. I don’t know anyone involved in this incident and yet it makes me feel so sick at the same time. I can’t imagine the pain you feel Ross.

RIP Bryan Ludwig.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I appreciate you having the strength to write this. It is hard to read, but so important to put out there. I am so sorry this happened to you two! RIP Bryan.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Condolences and prayers for comfort and strength for Bryan's family, loved ones, and friends. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.

It took great courage for you to share your account of the accident, Ross. I will be thinking of you and praying for you as you mourn loss of your friend.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

My deepest condolences to you,Ross, and Bryan’s family and friends.
As many have said,please seek some help and healing.I know Bryan will always be with u in spirit and would love for u to carry on with your passion for the mountains.
Rest in peace Bryan.May your soul rise and shine every day.
Never,never give up!.
jasayrevt
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 159 4
Trip Reports (26)

Post by jasayrevt »

I am sorry reading of this accident on Pico Aislado. Rest-in-peace, Bryan. My sincerest condolences to family and friends, too.
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
JDroz
Trip Reports (2)

Post by JDroz »

Ross and friends,

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. This news really hits me hard, as I lost my climbing partner last October to an accident, and Pico Aislado was one of the last routes we did together before he passed. I may be a stranger to most of you, but I am all too familiar with this type of heartbreak. If any of you ever want someone to talk to, go on a hike/run with, etc., please PM me!

Losing a friend, and such an amazing member of our community, is not easy; but we don't have to go through it alone. We are here for you.

-Jacob
JDG7
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JDG7 »

thank you for posting this story, honoring your friend. I am so sorry to hear what happened. You are carrying his legacy onward now. Prayers for the family and friends.

Everyone, please be safe out there.
Posthole Pete
14ers: 34  30  5 
13ers: 162 103 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Posthole Pete »

Ross, thank you for sharing this.

Seeing a body changes you. I learned that the hard way this past winter when I helped search for an avalanche victim. I was lucky that the victim I searched for was not a partner of mine so I can only imagine what you are going through.

One of the things I discovered, talking about the incident helped me work through what I saw that day. And more importantly talking with people who understand the situation i.e. not some FB group where you would get a dozen responses of "that guy's an idiot and I never would have blah blah blah". We all know this same thing can happen to us anytime we play in the mountains. We understand your pain and everyone who knew Bryans' pain too.

For whatever reason, the handle Bludwig always stood out to me whenever I saw him post something. I'm gonna miss seeing Bludwig pop up.

Keep your head up Ross and all other friends/family of Bryan.
trip-alot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trip-alot »

Dear Ross,

Thank you for sharing your story. Like probably everyone else on this forum, I've survived close calls and have even had to walk out injured (broken collar bone--hardly worth mentioning:) --but I've never had to hike out after losing a partner. That must have been hellish, walking out on your own. I know those drainages around Pico Aisalado and Milwaukee intimately and they are rough on a good day. Like others have mentioned, don't listen to others who will blame the victim. (I think people like that just don't want to believe they are also vulnerable). The Sangres are terrible beauties--most of the climbers who get in trouble up there are experienced and have every the right to be in the mountains.

Please convey my condolences to Bryan's friends and loved ones. I hope you can find plenty of support and that you'll find a way to continue enjoying the mountains. I think I can speak for others in the Crestone community, we take stories like this personally. I'm proud of my SAR friends--Bryan was in good hands. And I'm so grateful you were able to hike out without incident and be met by kind professionals--

Crestone sends you and Bryan a lot of love--I hope you can feel our empathy and that it helps you heal--

grace