Climber dies on Pico Aislado

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zgilbert
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climber dies on Pico Aislado

Post by zgilbert »

Thank you for sharing this. I can't imagine your experience through this. I think my mind literally won't let me - but knowing the brutal realities is critical. My climbing partner and I were a few miles away on Crestone Peak when the SAR helicopter was making it's initial recon effort. That alone was severely sobering. My condolences to his friends and family and my best wishes to you as you find your way forward.
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Harrowing recount! I never met Bryan but do remember seeing his trip reports & some of his other posts. Condolences to the friends and family. RIP Bryan.
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (114)

Post by supranihilest »

I never met Bryan but we shared many friends. I talked to him a few times and he was always, always stoked about the mountains. Tragic that this happened.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Sad and scary to read this. Stay positive man, the passage of time will help.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Sorry for the loss of your friend and climbing partner. Definitely a good reminder that things can happen so quickly in the mountains.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  14  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

RIP… I am devastated to hear of this
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 319 23 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Sbenfield wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:59 am Bryan was one of the best ever friends I had. We will miss him so much. We will carry his spirit with us in mountains forever.
I feel sick when I realized I knew him even if it was only for about 20 mins, we met you and Bryan 4/3/21 on top of Tincup. We had a great chat with both of you. Then hike down was post holeing missery, with out snowshoes. When you guys got back you told us it was just as bad with snowshoes. There was this report after our hike on another 13er he did, super funny line referencing me. So sorry for the loss to all his friends and family.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=19692
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jenna N S »

So sobering and hard to read. Thank you for sharing. If you guys started from Music Pass Trailhead that morning, I was there that morning about to get ready to head out myself and heard you guys start off.

So sorry for your and Bryan's families loss.
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
Atlasjb87
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Atlasjb87 »

This is a difficult message to write. Are you holding up okay? This is truly tragic. Bryan was also my friend and coworker. I'm absolutely shocked by this 😢
Last edited by Atlasjb87 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Wow. That was sobering and tough to read. So sorry and condolences to everyone that knew him.
Reg0928
13ers: 254 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

Thanks everyone for your concern. I'm doing okay, and I know that I'll eventually feel better if I keep my head up and stay strong.

A huge thanks to Andrew, Jess, Brad, Steve, Kit, and the rest of my climbing partners for their support.

A huge thanks to all of you, actually. Knowing the hiking and climbing community has my back means the world to me. Unless you spend time in the mountains, you really don't understand the reality of a 1000 ft fall, or how quickly things can go wrong.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

This is tragic and terrible to read. I'm sorry for your loss.

I watched my (ex)wife take a very bad unroped fall several years ago. The memory of the fall and especially the sound have haunted me ever since. Take some time with it but I strongly recommend considering counseling or therapy to learn to cope with the experience and potential feelings of guilt and responsibility. They can wreak havoc on your well being if not addressed.
Make wilderness less accessible.