Your favorite __er in CO (14er, 13er, etc.)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Your favorite __er in CO (14er, 13er, etc.)

Post by -wren- »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:46 am 7er-Definitely Peak 7071, which is also my favorite mountain in Colorado.
wow I just checked it out, one of the craziest looking peaks I’ve ever seen. definitely on the shortlist now! Eagle’s nest is in the plans if I have the energy after I do Powell this summer.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:46 am 10er-Rabbit Ears
Pretty much the only thing standing from me finishing up Jackson County (and 28 other peaks, but nothing remotely difficult climbing-wise).

I've heard the rock was craptastic.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:23 am 8er - Sheep Nose - fun scramble with stellar views. Short and sweet.
7er - Greyrock - very cool mountain in Fort Collins area. Have done it many times. It never gets old.
Cool that you've done The Castle, wren. I really want to try that one sometime.
Sheep nose and greyrock (particularly aiguille du greyrock) are definitely on my itenerary for thanksgiving/winter break when I’m back in town after 1st semester at western. The Castle is a true gem - I climbed an alternate route up the gully through squeeze chimneys to avoid exposed friction climbing since me and my partner did it unprotected which was a very unique experience, like vertical canyoneering. The summit block was pretty scary unprotected but not too bad with some experience climbing. Maybe not my finest decision, it was very early on in my career, probably wouldn’t do it today.
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukePlumley »

Longs Peak
McHenrys Peak
E Desolation Peak/W Beckwith Mtn (tie)
Marcellina Mtn
Wichita Mtn
The Castle
Limestone Ridge in DNM
7,071’ in DNM (Winner!)
“Outlaw Peak”
W Pawnee Buttes
Two Buttes
Last edited by lukePlumley on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

14er: C Needle
13er: The Citadel
12er: Cherokee (IPW)
11er: The Catamount (LCW)
10er: UN10926 (by far favorite overall, LCW)
9er: The Castle
8er: Noddle Head (South)
7er: Aiguille du Greyrock
6er: Green Mt (yeah, really. I go up there too often that it would be embarrassing not to call it a favorite.)
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

14er: Longs or Quandary (I know, I know, totally different. But I consider Quandary an old friend, I can relax and daydream).
13er: Lizard Head: Sporty fun, good memories there.
12er: Turret Ridge: Super fun traverse on the last pitch.
11er: Chimney Rock (the 5.6 one in the Cimmaron Valley)
10er: Rabbit Ears. Did an unconventional route up this one pre-collapse.
9er: The Castle
8er: Big Rock Candy Mountain: Resurrecting a "lost" route was fun, kept it at old school 5.7
7er: 7071; Found a route there I nicknamed "The Golden Staircase," based on a joke with a family friend (Him: "You'll never get up that..." Me (laughing): "Who knows? Maybe I'll find a golden staircase!"). A fun solo.
6er: Pt. 6799: A really fun remote challenge, took me a couple of years to piece together the route. No known prior ascents, but who really knows? Just a fun looong day with some buddies.
5er: Independence Monument: Connect the buckets!

-Tom
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I'm adding least favorites when I have a clear choice

14er--Crestone Peak. Least favorite-El Diente
13er--Rio Grande Pyramid Least favorite-13577 (don't ascend from Lily Lake. Ugh)
12er--Mt. Zirkel (even with a lightning strike)
11er--Mt. Lamborn. Least favorite-Buffalo Peak, Jeffco Highpoint.
10er--Baldy Peak
9er--Ute Peak. Least favorite--Pinon Mesa HP
8er--Sheep Nose or Noddle Heads Souh
7er--Gardner Butte.
6er--Wildcat Mountain
5er--Pawnee Buttes East
4er--Two Buttes. Least favorite--San Jose Ranch Mesa (only because ChrisinAz had to find all five candidates for the highpoint and it was almost 100 degrees out)
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

14er: Crestone Needle
13er: Arrow Peak ("T0" has the worst scree imaginable)
12er: Mt. Toll (Sheep Mountain-worst winds)
11er: Chief Mountain (Buffalo Peak-3000' of bushwhacking)
10er: 'Lost Platte Peak"
9er: Captain Mountain
8er: Raleigh Peak
7er: Mt Morrison
6er: Green Mountain (What Derek said)

Edited to include least favorites
Last edited by rijaca on Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Matt wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:46 am Least favorite-13577 (don't ascend from Lily Lake. Ugh)
True on that! I have done 13,577 from both sides... Lily Lake ascent was craptastic. It was fun from Zapata via the ridge with 13,660.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I like the least favorite idea.

14er - Wetterhorn. Least favorite El Diente (via North Slopes)
13er - Half Peak ? I love the area and the remoteness and the view is epic. Least favorite - Gladstone.
12er - Bison. Least favorite - 12580? I mean ...it's there. That's about all I've got.
11er - Platte Peak. Feels remote and lonely even though it's not really.
10er - Dicks Peak. You know why.
9er - The Castle I guess. I haven't done very many.
8er- Long Scraggy
7er - Mount Morrison (I've only done 1 7er so I did my best)
6er - South Table. I have personal reasons that have nothing to do with aesthetics.
5er- Horse Mountain (we made it up and Dave didn't!)
4er- Two Buttes
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Matt wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:46 am Least favorite-13577 (don't ascend from Lily Lake. Ugh)
Tornadoman wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am True on that! I have done 13,577 from both sides... Lily Lake ascent was craptastic.
I didn't think it was that bad...I'm starting to believe I have an abnormally high tolerance for loose crap :lol: Now gaining the ridge to Pilot Knob's summit block is what I consider craptastic.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:00 am
Scott P wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:46 am 10er-Rabbit Ears
Pretty much the only thing standing from me finishing up Jackson County (and 28 other peaks, but nothing remotely difficult climbing-wise).

I've heard the rock was craptastic.
The highest ear is definitely like that, but the point marked Rabbit Ears Peak isn't so bad (and much better than the rock on nearby Chimney Rock).

For years the part marked Rabbit Ears Peak was considered the highest point, but I went up there and climbed and by lying with my eye level with the peak and using the background peaks was pretty sure that the East Ear was higher.

I started a thread on LOJ saying so and Teresa Gergen went up there with a hand level since she was finishing all the 10ers and had climbed the same point I did. She also verified that the East Ear was higher. I imagine that this disappointed a lot of people since the East Ear is indeed a crumbling mess and everyone or almost everyone counting the ranked summits climbed the wrong one.

The Rabbit Ears Peak is still really fun to climb though and the Ears still really interesting to look at, so it's still my favorite 10er even though I likely won't stand on the highest ear.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.