14ers FKT Attempt July 5-20 Self-Supported

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14ers FKT Attempt July 5-20 Self-Supported

Post by Marmot96 »

Did he turn around from the ridge north of Yale? Could be weather related as it seems it is raining pretty good up there.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Marmot96 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:21 pm Did he turn around from the ridge north of Yale? Could be weather related as it seems it is raining pretty good up there.
I was wondering that too. Hope he didn't get injured.

Also, did he make Antero? Missed it, if he did, but again, maybe weather was better in the collegiates.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:13 pm
Marmot96 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:21 pm Did he turn around from the ridge north of Yale? Could be weather related as it seems it is raining pretty good up there.
I was wondering that too. Hope he didn't get injured.

Also, did he make Antero? Missed it, if he did, but again, maybe weather was better in the collegiates.
It appears that he didn't do Antero/Princeton yet. I am also seeing that he turned around on Yale. Radar looks like a good soaking, so hopefully it's a weather related decision versus fatigue/injury, etc.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Thanks for the support everyone. I had to make the decision to withdraw on the FKT attempt today. I came down off Yale when the sky opened and the winds started cranking. It was a tough decision but after a close call with lightning on Tab yesterday it felt like the right one. As a result, I’m 3 peaks back going into the Elks. I’d planned to do Antero yesterday but the rain never stopped and then with bailing from Yale a ridge and 1500ft away I’m just not going to be able to make up the ground.

Still going to go down and do the Elks then finish Antero, Massive, LaPlata, Belford Group, Huron then do the Sawtooth Traverse so I can finish off the 58, but for now I’m just taking a down night. Thanks again.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

An impressive push nonetheless. Congratulations on your attempt!
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 319 23 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Jorts wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:49 pm Thanks for the support everyone. I had to make the decision to withdraw on the FKT attempt today. I came down off Yale when the sky opened and the winds started cranking. It was a tough decision but after a close call with lightning on Tab yesterday it felt like the right one. As a result, I’m 3 peaks back going into the Elks. I’d planned to do Antero yesterday but the rain never stopped and then with bailing from Yale a ridge and 1500ft away I’m just not going to be able to make up the ground.

Still going to go down and do the Elks then finish Antero, Massive, LaPlata, Belford Group, Huron then do the Sawtooth Traverse so I can finish off the 58, but for now I’m just taking a down night. Thanks again.
Much better to be safe then dead. Very good call Brent... Still amazing everything you have done is such a short time.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
hangingbelay
14ers: 55 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hangingbelay »

It's super impressive what you accomplished in the last 10 days! Enjoy the rest of the journey!
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Was a VERY entertaining effort for us all to watch!

Very impressive! Glad you are safe and thanks for sharing this! Enjoy the rest of your peaks.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Congrats Brent! Wish you well with finishing the 14er list over the coming days!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

As someone who is personally scared sh$&less of lightning, you are making the absolute correct decision, Brent. F that man. Good luck on the rest of the journey and congrats on all that you have accomplished!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I wouldn't mess with lightning either. Not worth it.

You've no doubt created memories that will last a lifetime, while the rest of us will soon forget what we did this week. Safe travels over the rest of the peaks and have a safe trip home too!
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

Brent, great job out there! I've been "buzzed" my lightning before, and yeah that makes the summit a lot less important now. Glad you're safe! Be proud of what you've accomplished.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney