14er Quandary and Grays Permits?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldknees
Trip Reports (0)

14er Quandary and Grays Permits?

Post by oldknees »

Hi All,
Looking to do my first 14ers in early August. I am targeting Quandary and Grays and have heard (alltrails) that there will be permits required for some 14ers as well as parking permits. Have any of you heard of these and if so, where can I go to get these? Thanks!
easyrider
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14er Quandary and Grays Permits?

Post by easyrider »

The town of Breckenridge is implementing a parking permit system for the Quandry Peak trailhead. It sounds like they are still working out all the details, here is an article on it:

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/crime/ ... y-july-30/
oldknees
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldknees »

I did see this article. Was wondering if anyone that lives in the area has any experience with this or knows more? Should I check back in Aug. 1?
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

The details have yet to be released for the Quandary permit system.
As far as Grays is concerned, you would need to get to the upper TH early, I mean waaaay early especially on a weekend. Someone posted that they got the last parking spot at 4:30 am on an Monday recently. Otherwise just plan on hiking from the lower I-70 TH and pack up a few extra miles. Odds are you'll have offers for a ride on the way down anyway.

-You could also try Bierstadt. Plenty of parking (still get there early) and no permits needed...yet.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

People still climb 14'ers? Image :mrgreen:
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

SkaredShtles wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:19 pm People still climb 14'ers? Image :mrgreen:
Nobody climbs them anymore they’re too crowded.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood