Mt Shavano trail options

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Shavano trail options

Post by OldDude »

I see from the route map there is a split in the trail - the standard trail S1 and to the left is the snow trail S2, which is .5 miles shorter then later meets up with S1. Thinking mid August to summit. Any reason not to take S2 to save steps on old legs?
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Shavano trail options

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Any reason not to take S2 to save steps on old legs?
It is a fairly steep and loose scree field at points. You will almost surely be faster (and a whole hell of a lot safer) walking the additional 0.5 miles up the standard route. Pretty poor risk/reward in my book.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

ultrarunningkid wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:52 pm
Any reason not to take S2 to save steps on old legs?
It is a fairly steep and loose scree field at points. You will almost surely be faster (and a whole hell of a lot safer) walking the additional 0.5 miles up the standard route. Pretty poor risk/reward in my book.
This. The Angel of Shavano route is a couloir that's only used when filled in with snow. There's no actual trail there, and going up that way is choosing to take a steeper route up a scree/talus slope instead of the easy trail. You'll save a little distance, but certainly neither time nor effort.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I agree with those comments. The standard route is a standard route for a reason... A half a mile differential is really not a big deal and you have a nice view most of the way.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

nyker wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:04 pm I agree with those comments. The standard route is a standard route for a reason... A half a mile differential is really not a big deal and you have a nice view most of the way.
I would also add, without trying to be rude, that if you are looking for ways to cut a half mile off on a hike to save your legs, you might be pushing too close to your limit.

Maybe someone from Colorado SAR can chime in, but out here in California there are literally hundreds of injuries and lost people a year from people attempting to make short cuts to make up for lack of fitness. I would say most of the 14ers trails are optimized pretty well (not perfect), but pretty good in terms of best route to the summit because the trails were formed over years by people simply trying to get up the easiest way possible.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

I cut that top switchback on Shavano while running for my life toward treeline during an electrical storm recently. Bet it saved 0.25mi.

And I took the central couloir up Uncompahgre cause I wanted steeper miles on the legs to warmup for Little Bear.

But choosing the winter route over the summer route for the purpose of saving mileage doesn’t really jive. Those couloirs are often loose and miserable when dry. If there is an alternative option it’s superior regardless of mileage savings.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

Thanks for the feedback. If the S2 trail is good why not shave off .5 mile? But now I know and will continue on S1.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

OldDude wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 am If the S2 trail is good why not shave off .5 mile?
There is no trail on the S2 route. It is a winter route.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Here's a question somewhat related. I recently hiked Mt. Evans from Summit Lake. As I was hiking up I passed an older gentleman who was hiking his first 14er. He saw the North Face which looks like it leads directly back to the lake and asked me about coming down that, which to him looked much quicker (he was pretty tired). I told him that I had never hiked it but in general if something looks like a shortcut and easy way down, but is not a standard or recommended summer route, then it's probably not a good idea for a reason. He seemed OK with that. Then I passed another gentleman who was telling everyone he saw to come down the North Face as well. So, was I giving bad advice? Anyone come down that route without snow?
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

douglas wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 pm Here's a question somewhat related. I recently hiked Mt. Evans from Summit Lake. As I was hiking up I passed an older gentleman who was hiking his first 14er. He saw the North Face which looks like it leads directly back to the lake and asked me about coming down that, which to him looked much quicker (he was pretty tired). I told him that I had never hiked it but in general if something looks like a shortcut and easy way down, but is not a standard or recommended summer route, then it's probably not a good idea for a reason. He seemed OK with that. Then I passed another gentleman who was telling everyone he saw to come down the North Face as well. So, was I giving bad advice? Anyone come down that route without snow?
I think if people are hiking their first 14ers (and are doing Mt. Evans from Summit Lake), sending them down a loose talus/scree field without a real trail is a very bad idea. I'd say you made the right choice (though I haven't done that route). Sounds similar to the South Gully on Quandary, where it's technically a shortcut but sucks a lot and is way more dangerous than just dealing with the extra mileage of going down the standard route.