Blanca Peak + Ellingwood

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mitsugi
14ers: 32  3 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Blanca Peak + Ellingwood

Post by Mitsugi »

We're going to try to knock these bad boys out next weekend.

I think we're going to camp at the tree line near Lake Como to shorten the second day hike. Does anybody have any advice for the 2 peak hike? Maybe things you wish you knew before you did it your first time?
Trolling unintentionally since 6/30/2019...
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Blanca Peak + Ellingwood

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Personally I've always enjoyed the South Zapata Lake area (From Zapata Falls TH) much more than Como . Even on the weekends only a handful of people go that way so it may be less busy if that is a bonus for you.

The lake is around 12,000ft and 2 miles from the summit of Ellingwood (5 miles from the TH to the lake) but the downside is you have to go back over Ellingwood so watching the weather is slightly more important.

If you have the fitness, I think that route is much more beautiful.

Also you can see the waterfalls on your way in or out and it doesn't add much time. I've been to Como a few times and it was more rambunctious a few times with jeeps and people drinking.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Just did the LB-Blanca-Ellingwood loop recently. I descended Ellingwood's SW ridge and really enjoyed it - solid, 95% ridge proper, not overly exposed. Felt like easy 3rd cl. I'd recommend going up the SW ridge, traversing to Blanca and descending Blanca's NW ridge. The traverse between the two was large talus hopping and gully traversing along the ridgeline. FYI, the further off ridgeline you get into the bowls/faces, the more it turns into loose talus hopping.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

^^ this. Ellingwood’s southwest ridge is a vastly underrated gem. Roach rates it a “classic” and for good reason. Airy, solid, sporty but not overly difficult, bomber views. I really don’t understand why it doesn’t get more love here. I guess the fact that EP is the little brother to Blanca, but so what, a great route is a great route.

Tip: best way to gain the ridge is probably not the gully described in the 14ers.com contributor route description. TR’s by USAKeller quite a few years ago and one I posted in December 2017 describe what I think is a better ascent, striking left at the top of the waterfall above Blue Lake. It’s before the gully and a more solid path, taking advantage of sloping ledges.

Also, there are some decent camping spots just above Lake Como, near where the Little Bear route splits off the road.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

DeTour wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:21 pm Tip: best way to gain the ridge is probably not the gully described in the 14ers.com contributor route description. TR’s by USAKeller quite a few years ago and one I posted in December 2017 describe what I think is a better ascent, striking left at the top of the waterfall above Blue Lake. It’s before the gully and a more solid path, taking advantage of sloping ledges.
Noticed a few cairns coming down off the ridge. The route finding seemed fairly easy. I didn't land in any gullies getting down to the upper (Crater?) lake area and just descended from about the low point of the saddle by ledge zigzagging.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Made it to zapata lake last year hoping to do that again soon. Does bump it up to 3 but only a bit. I'd like to summit that way. Hopefully someday.

Hiked up Como road a bit after getting monsooned out of California and heading back. Maybe hiked up a mile or 2. Didn't seem too bad only saw pickups . But I remember being in the grocery store in Ft Garland hearing something loud not sure where, the exhaust made it into the grocery store!!! So that gives me pause going up Como, especially on a weekend. Not sure how bad ORVs are

Hoping to figure out the recommendation above for a different route to take a look when I get up there. I appreciate the standard routes on here for sure but sometimes you do better on a slightly different route
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Mitsugi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:08 pm We're going to try to knock these bad boys out next weekend.

I think we're going to camp at the tree line near Lake Como to shorten the second day hike. Does anybody have any advice for the 2 peak hike? Maybe things you wish you knew before you did it your first time?
- Start early enough to reduce risk of being chased off by T storms (this means starting in the dark even in summer)
- Pay attention to any bear activity in the days preceding your planned days there and keep a clean campsite; if others are not keeping a clean site, move.
- As mentioned above Ellingwood makes a fine ascent alone if you can't get them done together, so don't worry about not getting both at once.
- Take more time to enjoy the area above the Lake, its really a nice place
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

Just wanted to add good luck!!! Have fun!!! Even if you just get to the lakes I'd bet it's a good hike. Certainly zapata is
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.