Needleton beer thieves

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Needleton beer thieves

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:54 am So if someone else found a bag of money in the river, would it be stealing to take it?
Not if they replaced it with beer. :lol:
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

I was the beer hider in this story… Can confirm it was well-hidden several hundred yards away from the bridge and strategically buried under a pile of rocks. It was so well hidden I’m almost inclined to think the culprits had watched us stash it.

One of the guys in our group put it best: “That’s like saying ‘hey I slept with your wife but here’s $500.’”

But alas, we more than made up for it with margs on the train and it makes for a fun story in hindsight.

…And for the record, it was two six packs of some nice Colorado microbrews as well as a sixer of Coors Banquet tall boys.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

There is an amount of money that would make things ok, imo. $29 isn't even close for 18 beers; (scarcity comes into play here too.... you can't walk to the store a minute later- it would have to be a pretty high number to make it alright). In any case I hope those margaritas were good, and am looking forward to reading the Trip Report when it comes out.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Wentzl wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:54 am So if someone else found a bag of money in the river, would it be stealing to take it?
Depends how the money got there:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious ... -1980.html
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

To the Guilty: May a family of hungry marmots find your tent while you're out.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

If the thieves were running the River in kayaks and they make a regular habit of this I think it’s kinda funny. But sorry nonetheless your stash was raided. Needle creek seems like a good way to go. Or lug your beer up to C Basin the old fashioned way.
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

Sounds like a good episode topic for the podcast. :idea:
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

JacerJack wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:12 pm I was the beer hider in this story… Can confirm it was well-hidden several hundred yards away from the bridge and strategically buried under a pile of rocks. It was so well hidden I’m almost inclined to think the culprits had watched us stash it.

One of the guys in our group put it best: “That’s like saying ‘hey I slept with your wife but here’s $500.’”

But alas, we more than made up for it with margs on the train and it makes for a fun story in hindsight.

…And for the record, it was two six packs of some nice Colorado microbrews as well as a sixer of Coors Banquet tall boys.
Honest question - was it upstream or downstream from the bridge?

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

speth wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:16 pm
JacerJack wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:12 pm I was the beer hider in this story… Can confirm it was well-hidden several hundred yards away from the bridge and strategically buried under a pile of rocks. It was so well hidden I’m almost inclined to think the culprits had watched us stash it.

Honest question - was it upstream or downstream from the bridge?
Honest answer - It was upstream, but why would that matter? :lol:
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

In the "there's a special place in hell" continuum, stealing beer (even if leaving cash) from a backcountry stash leans more towards the "guy who abuses animals" side than the "Karen who always leaves shopping cart in middle of parking lot" side.

Shame!
Make wilderness less accessible.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Not taking the thieves side here but I don’t think $29 is equal to a 10 cent tip. At my local store a 6 pack of SKA Pinstripe or True Blonde is $7.99 and Coors Banquet is even less $6.99 for a 6 of 16 ouncers. Just sayin.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

JChitwood wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:32 pm Not taking the thieves side here but I don’t think $29 is equal to a 10 cent tip. At my local store a 6 pack of SKA Pinstripe or True Blonde is $7.99 and Coors Banquet is even less $6.99 for a 6 of 16 ouncers. Just sayin.
Is your local store at the needleton train stop?

Beers on the train cost $5 each. So 18 beers is $90, assuming you want to wait until the train comes, wait in line, and drink then.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche