Needleton beer thieves

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Stiffler_from_Denver
14ers: 58  1  2 
Trip Reports (9)

Needleton beer thieves

Post by Stiffler_from_Denver »

We hiked into the Chicago basin from Vallecito on Wednesday and had the rest of our group come in on the train from Durango on Thursday. They stashed three 6-packs of beer in the Animus River for our return to catch train on Sunday. After 40 miles of hiking we got to the train pick up looking forward to our beer, but instead it was stolen and the thieves left a taped bag to our paracord with cash in it.

Is there any universe where that is acceptable?
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Needleton beer thieves

Post by cottonmountaineering »

no, they shall be excommunicated to texas
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:13 pm no, they shall be excommunicated to texas
Texas??!! Now why in tarnation would we ever want a bunch of low down, no good beer thieves? They should be strung up where they're found.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Probably same guy that stole CaptainSuburbia’s snow shovel!
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

This could make for a How it's Done thread, or unfortunately for you, How NOT to Stash Beer.
Pick a better stash point next time?
The beer purchasers probably had a good f**k em and sick laugh about it.

But sorry about your loss, even from a non-beer drinker.
Alrightmax
14ers: 29 
13ers: 72 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alrightmax »

They left the bag and left cash? Hilarious. Full pardon!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm We hiked into the Chicago basin from Vallecito on Wednesday and had the rest of our group come in on the train from Durango on Thursday. They stashed three 6-packs of beer in the Animus River for our return to catch train on Sunday. After 40 miles of hiking we got to the train pick up looking forward to our beer, but instead it was stolen and the thieves left a taped bag to our paracord with cash in it.

Is there any universe where that is acceptable?
Not enough information to answer the question- We need to know how much cash they left.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Hopefully they left at least $5 a beer. Thats the cost of beer on the train.

How did you stash it? We stashed it 20 yards from the bridge, in a brown bag, and fully submerged with rocks on top. Pretty hard to spot from more then 2 feet away.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Based on the OP's user name, I'm really disappointed this thread isn't titled "Dude, where's my beer".
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

12ersRule wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:46 pm Based on the OP's user name, I'm really disappointed this thread isn't titled "Dude, where's my beer".
Good point. Deduct points.

Should probably inform on the beer of choice as well, as that relates to tornadoman post for further details.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

This is actually really hilarious if not a troll post! :-D
But yeah, how much $$$ were left behind?
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

Sounds to me like they used the honor box system. They should be commended. iIf it wasn't for sale, you should have left a note indicating so.