Needleton beer thieves

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zephyr_pelicante
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (34)

Re: Needleton beer thieves

Post by zephyr_pelicante »

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm Is there any universe where that is acceptable?
Tornadoman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:48 pm We need to know how much cash they left.
I'm kind of in this camp as well. If you're leaving a fiddy or hundo for a 6 pack then I kind of feel like, while still super uncool and not something I would ever do or condone, it becomes reasonably acceptable. If we're talking Hamilton or even Jackson.... that ain't it at all fam.

The old "everything is for sale at the right price" while not actually bearing any intellectual ethical weight, might be worth considering. If they're leaving $1000... my guess is this post doesn't exist.

Another thing worth considering - stuff like this happens all the time and people don't come back for the beer. Personally, I don't really think it's worth it to leave items unattended in the wilderness for any amount of time regardless of prompt intention to retrieve said item, even (especially?) if said item is beer. Like (I think) Roach said "Don't leave your lunch"

So IDK is it bad taste to steal the beer? Yeah, but I've seen a ton of beer in the wilderness that I'm sure was "stashed" with the intention of being retrieved, then self-evidently abandoned. So the thief could be sick of seeing that, and wondering the same (if it was abandoned). Considering the ambiguity of whether it was stashed or just straight up litter, they figured it could be resolved by a little cash, and took the moral grey area route.

Say the beer were just left to be abandoned, a bag full of cash is a lesser form of litter than a large quantity of unopened beer. Plastic baggie be darned but cash is reasonably biodegradable (at least compared to beer cans)

Perhaps if you intend to stash beer leave a note saying "hiking chicago basin, will return 7/24" or whatever, so they know it wasn't abandoned. And yes, I've seen full 6-packs of abandoned beer on mountains multiple times before.
Stiffler_from_Denver
14ers: 58  1  2 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Stiffler_from_Denver »

I think it’s pretty obvious that people coming into the basin on train would leave on train. Who would hike into Needleton with 18 beers and not plan to come back?

It was $29 left, not $5 a beer.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

What kind of beer was it??
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm I think it’s pretty obvious that people coming into the basin on train would leave on train. Who would hike into Needleton with 18 beers and not plan to come back?

It was $29 left, not $5 a beer.
Objectively garbage behavior. Don’t take stuff unless you need it to survive
Stiffler_from_Denver
14ers: 58  1  2 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Stiffler_from_Denver »

By the same logic then you could walk by someone’s ultralight tent and just take it and leave money.
zephyr_pelicante
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (34)

Post by zephyr_pelicante »

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm 18 beers, $29 left
Now we have numbers!

$29 for 18 beers is despicable. At least triple that was needed to make things right. Given the cost of the train tickets, anything under $100 is abhorrent. They were thieves. Sorry that happened to you.

18 beers at that location - unless obviously abandoned - should demand a premium of $10+/beer. So really we should be looking at around $200 for this to be even be remotely acceptable, IMHO.

Re: tent, if it's pitched at camp that's a little less ambiguous that it's been abandoned. I suppose by the "everything has a price" logic I see your point, but I'm thinking more of along the lines of "is this litter vs. an object obviously intended to be retrieved soon?" in which case, the involuntary tent transaction would be far worse. But that's neither here nor there.

Also, I thought about it some more and.... these guys must not have thought the beers were abandoned if they left the $... And given the completely pathetic amount of $ left - it's almost a slap in the face they might as well have just stolen it.

Sorry man, people are jerks sometimes.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

This is not difficult: A fool and his beer are soon parted.

Beer being stolen there is old news. A least you got some money to spend on the train.

Hide the suds up Needle Creek with a little forethought and your beer will be there on your return.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

The same thing happened to me. I submerged a meshed bag with 3 6-packs in an obscure location, away from the bridge. I then covered it with rocks so you could not see the reflection from the cans. When we returned from Chicago Basin, ½ of them were gone. They did not float away, the bag was fully intact. No cash left in my case though. Whoever did it had to go out of their way to look for the beer. The beer was obviously not abandoned. We were only out 3 days and the cans were fresh, not covered with algae.

It has to take some kind of mega low life A-Hole to do something like this. The person leaving the beer went through the effort to purchase, transport, and submerge the beer to be enjoyed by their group after a long hike while waiting for the train. The D-Bag who sole the beer lacks basic morals to not take something that is not theirs. They should be ashamed of themselves, but chances are they lack the brain capacity to do so.

At least in my case we still had ½ of our beer to enjoy, which tasted so good!
Century Bound, eventually.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm It was $29 left, not $5 a beer.
That's a clue! They coulda left $20, or even $25, and been viewed similarly as "Man they took our beer and at least left something but not enough!"
But they piled those extra 4 singles on there, suggesting guilt in leaving everything they had.

Now if they were thirsty and desperate, I could see taking 6 beers and leaving the $29 being more reasonable.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

That sucks.
Can't just stash it, you have to hide it.
We hid ours in Needle Creek.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Mine was successful. I had sunk three beers and supplies for making Frito pie... It was actually really difficult to get the bag to sink. I had ended up putting like 15lbs of rocks in the bag and then like another 20lbs of rock on top. Camouflaged it well. The bag of Frito's were perfectly dry after 3 1/2 days submerged.
Needleton 2021.jpg
Needleton 2021.jpg (162.24 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

SkaredShtles wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:34 pm What kind of beer was it??
Yes, do tell.

Upon my triumphant noob return to Needleton after getting the Chicago Basin 14ers in 2006/7 (?), we found our beer stash had been raided.
They took my Ska ESBs, but left my buddy's Coors Lights. Thieves with taste are still thieves. I had to wait for the train to get that post-hike out beer.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List