Needleton beer thieves

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Needleton beer thieves

Post by Kiefer »

I had forgotten people do this! :x
Good to know/remember for next month. I'll be stashing our barley pops MUCH further away from the bridge.
And yeah, cash or no cash, it's still a D-bag move to take someone else's beer. Especially after being in the wilderness
for days.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Kiefer wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:22 am Good to know/remember for next month. I'll be stashing our barley pops MUCH further away from the bridge.
If you are not trying to keep things dry, get yourself a nylon mesh bag. You can sink it much more easily than a waterproof bag.
Century Bound, eventually.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

That's just rude and selfish.
I've been lucky never having my stash stolen. And I don't go through nearly the effort to hide it as others do. Guess I'll be more elusive next time. The thieves would have to leave $500+ for 18 beers to make me feel even a little better. It ain't about the money. Or the type of beer. 29 bucks is like leaving a 10 cent tip. Ouch.

Hope they picked up giardia for their crime.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm I think it’s pretty obvious that people coming into the basin on train would leave on train. Who would hike into Needleton with 18 beers and not plan to come back?

It was $29 left, not $5 a beer.
Wow then yes they are total dickbags. Also, if they had been less of dickbags, they could have just stolen like 2 and left that money.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Stiffler_from_Denver
14ers: 58  1  2 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Stiffler_from_Denver »

Thanks for comments. Our thoughts were that it was worse that they left $$$ because then they justified their jerk behavior.

We didn’t let it ruin our day; had plenty of beer on train and it adds to the story!

Vallecito trip report to come!
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jbealer »

i left a mesh bag of beer and caned mixed drinks in a off the beaten path stream, with rocks on the bag, on the other side of our camp site for my finisher celebration, came down to fine it raided, People suck, wish they would have left me some $.

my stash was still there when i got back to the train in 2018, guess next time i will do an even better job hiding things.

Sorry this happened to you.
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

SO there's 3 instances now of this happening in this thread along with the OP? Didn't know this was a problem down there! :roll:
Samajax
14ers: 55 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Samajax »

Well maybe they got an intestinal reward.

I remember a post from years ago- maybe someone can remember who, about a Chicago Basin beer stash leading to a severe case of giardia. It racked the writer for weeks.

It was his best guess that it came from the river via post hike beer.
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Not cool. May they be cursed by the beer gods with at least 1 calendar year of flat and room temperature beer.
Good luck breeds bad habits.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

See if you went to a teetotaling church you not only got saved from your sinful desires, you got $29!! And it probably wasn't Sam Adams I'm guessing :D if it was beast (if they still make that) you might have come out ahead. :D

More seriously think the real question is how to cool off the beer. Because it's probably pretty easy to hide it in the woods and nobody'd ever find it. But I suspect someone has figured out how to find beer :D should I just apologize for "wrong" things said in this post right now? :D
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by Matt » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:11 am
Yes, do tell. (What kind of beer was it??)

Upon my triumphant noob return to Needleton after getting the Chicago Basin 14ers in 2006/7 (?), we found our beer stash had been raided.
They took my Ska ESBs, but left my buddy's Coors Lights. Thieves with taste are still thieves. I had to wait for the train to get that post-hike out beer.
My thoughts exactly, my friend. Was it, let's say for example, Toppling Goliath's Double IPA? It not, and it was swill, you probably got your money's worth on that payment. 8) =;
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

So if someone else found a bag of money in the river, would it be stealing to take it?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"social justice" = injustice