Mt Elbert elevation help

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hopeful
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Elbert elevation help

Post by Hopeful »

I hiked the main Mt Elbert trail recently, didn't summit. I stopped at the white construction sign maybe half way between the treeline and summit? The app I was trying to use wasn't working. Can someone possibly measure elevation and even distance if they're going there soon? Had a great time, can't wait to do it again!
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Mt Elbert elevation help

Post by Rick Canter »

Hi Hopeful,

That is a TOUGH hill! I was up there recently and my app fouled on me as well. Perhaps someone has some excellent info, like the elevation of the current CFI construction.

There are multiple false summits and if you thought that the first false summit at 13900' was the true summit, sorry to say, you probably were lower than you thought. But you did add miles (I assume) by parking at the necessary closure, about a mile before the trailhead. The Elbert photos and description probably give you a good estimate.

If you want an outside guestimate, 12900-13000' and, a rough mileage of 4.7 miles each way, for 9.4 miles total.

Rick
Hopeful
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hopeful »

Thanks Rick! The construction sign was still a bit down from the FIRST false summit haha. Someone checked me in at 13000 so I know I at least made that and it was incredibly beautiful. It started off by being about the summit and just tuned into this is an incredible experience I'm enjoying summit or not. Will definitely be doing more Colorado hikes. Thanks for your response :)
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

You guys need the 14ers.com app!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

Hi Bill,

User of the app, and had North Elbert downloaded for offline use on my hike, along with Gaia and an altitude app. Just trying to help Hopeful.

Thin air changes everything for me. I need to spend more time breathing there before committing to the high summits. I am the guy breathing hard and sounding like a heart attack the whole way up.

Rick