Bells vs Little Bear Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which traverse is more "heady"?

Maroon Bells Traverse
34%
Little Bear to Blanca Traverse
66%

Total votes: 32
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Bells vs Little Bear Traverse

Post by Been_Jammin »

I climbed Bells last weekend. Gearing up for LB a couple weeks from now in order to finish the "four great 14er traverses." Which route do you all think is more heady?
Slawson405
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 116 3 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Bells vs Little Bear Traverse

Post by Slawson405 »

LB-Blanca without question.
Just continually sustained exposure. No crazy technical loves at all, just a head game. Still my favorite ridge so far.
“Buy the ticket, take the ride.”
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

"Heady," meaning technical/exposed? Probably LB-B for "more." The Bells traverse is a bit harder technically, but it's also only like a quarter of a mile long and only has a few points where it gets interesting. LB-B has a lot of good stuff for a long ways.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I think it all depends on what gets your heart racing. For me, it’s loose, crumbly rock over exposure so personally I found the Bells traverse to be more “heady” (I’ve had some very close calls with loose rock). I absolutely loved the LB-Blanca traverse and found the exposure to be not as sustained as advertised and the rock quality is great. There are spots along the way where you get a mental break from the exposure.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

That initial down climb from LB felt a little heady. I don't particularly enjoy exposed down climbing of a route for my first go of it. But the actual ridge is really straightforward and didn't feel particularly heady. Even the bivy tower or whatever the name was just a quick hop around. I found many of the TRs overblew and really built up LB-Blanca a little. If you're comfortable with exposure it's not a big deal from a climbing perspective. You won't find yourself dangling on a near vertical wall with several hundred feet of air below like you might on the Needle headwall of the Crestone traverse.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the Elks on my recent 14er voyage because of the monsoon so I can't speak to the Bells.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
tjf242424
14ers: 58 
13ers: 359
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjf242424 »

Bells has harder moves and crappier rock, but LB-B is more exposed and longer. For me, LB-B was the more heady one. But it’s absolutely fantastic. The Bells traverse was worth doing once and the peaks are iconic, but LB-B is one of the best alpine routes in CO.
KingHenryJames3rd
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KingHenryJames3rd »

Wildernessjane wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 am I think it all depends on what gets your heart racing. For me, it’s loose, crumbly rock over exposure so personally I found the Bells traverse to be more “heady” (I’ve had some very close calls with loose rock). I absolutely loved the LB-Blanca traverse and found the exposure to be not as sustained as advertised and the rock quality is great. There are spots along the way where you get a mental break from the exposure.
+1 here. Completely agree it depends what gets your heart racing. The exposure on LB is crazy at times but after you have down climbed onto the ridge you get used to it and start enjoying it plus there is no actual route finding to do to complicate things. I never got used to the crappy rock on the Bells so that bothered me a lot more.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

I’m generally pretty good with exposure, so I voted Bells traverse as that seemed a little sketchier to me than LB-Blanca. But as far as general exposure goes, LB-Blanca might be considered “heavier” by most.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Totally depends which way you are going on the Bells traverse. S->N is way easier than N->S, requiring quick up-climbs of a couple of short technical sections, and comparable to LB-Blanca, though is shorter and requires less sustained concentration. Hence, S->N is easier that LB-Blanca. On the other hand N->S is scary and considerably harder than anything on LB-Blanca, especially the longer downclimb off that pillar about 1/2 way across. You can't see where you are going and have to go down blind... not something that most people on this site are going to be able to do unroped.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I think the Bells traverse has some legit 5th class climbing. The LB/B traverse does not. For that reason I selected Bells as "more heady", whatever that might mean.

Not done the research, but my guess is more people have met their ultimate demise on Bells than LB/B, which also pushes the "heady" value.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Wildernessjane wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 am I think it all depends on what gets your heart racing. For me, it’s loose, crumbly rock over exposure so personally I found the Bells traverse to be more “heady” (I’ve had some very close calls with loose rock). I absolutely loved the LB-Blanca traverse and found the exposure to be not as sustained as advertised and the rock quality is great. There are spots along the way where you get a mental break from the exposure.
+1

I find choss mentally draining, with the constant attention to testing holds, evaluating surfaces, and maintaining three independent points of contact. I loved Little Bear to Blanca, but would only repeat the Bells traverse because it's faster than going down and around.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

LB-B requires sustained focus, but the rock is really solid. It was one of the first big routes I did in Colorado and it gave my 23-year-old self quite a thrill in the late 1990s. If the exposure doesn't rattle you, it's a lot of fun. Like a previous poster said, the Bivy Tower was a lot less intimidating close-up. It's the more heady route for sure. The initial downclimb LB gets your attention, no doubt.

The Bells traverse is fun, though I've only done it S > N. What I found exciting was the variety of "mini options" along the way. Nothing that pulls you off route, but small differences that make it fun. I also opted for the 5.6 / 5.7 option at the crux tower instead of the 5.0 (or 5.2, whatever it is) option. We brought a rope and gear and wanted to use it. The descent down North Maroon is kind of a slog, but a slog you need to keep route finding on. Thankfully, I had been up and down just North Maroon previous to the traverse and that helped.

I may do the Bells traverse again, but I don't have much interest in revisiting LB-B. Partially that because I don't want to destroy my truck on the Lake Como Road, but moreso because there are many, many other great traverses waiting in Colorado.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford