How do you feel about reservation work-arounds?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How do you feel about reservation work-arounds?

Post by climbingcue »

Dave B wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:42 pm I'd rather see paved and easily drivable access roads plowed up and replaced with single track and no access limits. Make the approach long enough and the hoards are no longer an issue.

Earn your wilderness experience, don't f*cking drive within a couple hundred yards of it.
Which is why I think that train should not be an option for hikers. Hike in the 16 miles each way.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Surprise, surprise that the authoritarians here all love the idea of daddy government giving permission when and where it is ok to go walking.

The equitable solution is obvious: as Dave B says, move the parking lots and trailheads further away, so that only the people who really want it and are willing to put in the work go, and you move all the congestion to an area that can handle it. You don't need bureaucracy to solve this, just reduce demand by removing the low hanging fruit.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

climbnowworklater wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 am Buy you own land now, they ain't making more.
What if I want to climb everything? I can't own everything. I don't love it when I'm accessing the public land behind the sliver of land you own, and wonder if you're coming out to wag your stupid gun in my face, when I need about 2.2 seconds to cross your land.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:08 am Which is why I think that train should not be an option for hikers. Hike in the 16 miles each way.
Personal perspective here but I'm trying to do Jagged and Pigeon and finally finish out the centennials. Time off is limited. Fitness isn't the best right now due to life circumstances. Wildfire smoke is wreaking havoc with my asthma. I'd like the best possible chance of summitting Jagged and taking the train out of the equation makes it that much more difficult.

I appreciate that for others that extra 16 miles makes little difference but to me it does and might make the difference but finishing and not. "Get in better shape" really isn't an option when the smoke never goes away.
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

I think the parking permits on Quandary are largely a good idea, but if you're going to replace easy access with something else, it should probably be better than a 12 person shuttle every 30 minutes from 5am. That's just too small and too infrequent (and probably starting too late) to replace the existing parking lot. Hopefully they'll improve the service later this year or next year.

In the grand scheme of possible restrictions, parking restrictions are pretty minor and easy to work around if you spend some time. I'm not looking forward till the eventual hiker limits though.
climbingcue
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:46 am
climbingcue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:08 am Which is why I think that train should not be an option for hikers. Hike in the 16 miles each way.
Personal perspective here but I'm trying to do Jagged and Pigeon and finally finish out the centennials. Time off is limited. Fitness isn't the best right now due to life circumstances. Wildfire smoke is wreaking havoc with my asthma. I'd like the best possible chance of summitting Jagged and taking the train out of the equation makes it that much more difficult.

I appreciate that for others that extra 16 miles makes little difference but to me it does and might make the difference but finishing and not. "Get in better shape" really isn't an option when the smoke never goes away.
We are doing Jagged from Beartown the weekend after this, my last centennial.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:26 am We are doing Jagged from Beartown the weekend after this, my last centennial.
Good for you?!? Great you don't have asthma, life, or other health issues that impact your ability to climb right now. I hope you never do.
Last edited by Jon Frohlich on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:05 am
climbnowworklater wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:05 am Buy you own land now, they ain't making more.
What if I want to climb everything? I can't own everything. I don't love it when I'm accessing the public land behind the sliver of land you own, and wonder if you're coming out to wag your stupid gun in my face, when I need about 2.2 seconds to cross your land.
No shite. Plenty of assholes like this around to make the world a "safer" place. I'll bet they're dentists. Or lawyers. Patriots all.
St.LouisCouple.jpg
St.LouisCouple.jpg (109.53 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am
12ersRule wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:05 am
No shite. Plenty of assholes like this around to make the world a "safer" place. I'll bet they're dentists. Or lawyers. Patriots all.

St.LouisCouple.jpg
I think the phrase you are looking for is, "happily pardoned after expressing their 2nd amendment rights"

https://news.yahoo.com/missouri-governo ... 54822.html
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

crossfitter wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:33 am "happily pardoned after expressing their 2nd amendment rights"
Only because the governor is another turd in need of flushing.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
climbingcue
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:28 am
climbingcue wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:26 am We are doing Jagged from Beartown the weekend after this, my last centennial.
Good for you?!? Great you don't have asthma, life, or other health issues that impact your ability to climb right now. I hope you never do.
Not sure what this is for, I was just saying we have a different route from the train. And what I think about the train does not matter since they will still take your money and bring you in. Sorry you have some many issues, the smoke has been very bad the last couple of years. It totally sucks, and I am always happy when the snow comes, much clearer and takes out the smoke.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am<snip>
I'll bet they're dentists. Or lawyers. Patriots all.
They *are* lawyers, for the record. Shocking, I know...