14er thru-hike

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Re: 14er thru-hike

Post by headsizeburrito »

Sounds awesome, interested in hearing more details!
Mel Kel
14ers: 2  1  2 
13ers: 3 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mel Kel »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:48 pm I’m curious which were the 14er peaks he didn’t do and why?

Really cool accomplishment, oh and how was he able to get all that time off from work?
Hi, sorry. I posted a follow-up in the thread but it probably got lost. I'll edit the original post with an update.

He completed all 58 14ers.
And he owns his own business, so didn't schedule any work during this time.
Mel Kel
14ers: 2  1  2 
13ers: 3 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mel Kel »

greenonion wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:28 am Really cool! How many shoes did he go through? Huge congrats!
Hey! He went through 3 pairs of shoes. Started with the LaSportiva mutants, and then two pairs of the Jackals.
Jakomait
14ers: 58 
13ers: 181
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Jakomait »

Was he running along hwy 50 between Canon City and Salida Aug 7 & 8 wearing a HMG pack? I saw someone doing that and was wondering what kind of crazy adventure they were up to. Was this it or something else equally nuts?
Giver skidoo
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

That is an amazing accomplishment.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

That's impressive.
Congrats.
Marcos
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Marcos »

Amazing idea and impressive execution. Hard to comprehend the level of effort expended. I really like the quiet manner in which he did it -- no live tracking or daily updates. Just him and the mountains. Classic.

I hope this becomes a new standard for 14er record setting. Backpacking gear has gotten so light in the last couple of years that new horizons are opening up. A "Slowlans" type trip thru-hiking multiple 14ers is becoming something we mere mortals can aspire to.
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Pretty Amazing for sure! Congratulations to your BF!
Ted from TEXAS!
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Does he have a map of his overall route he'd be willing to share? I'm just curious. Really cool accomplishment!
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
the dodo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by the dodo »

Hello Everyone! This is Pawel, aka the Dodo. Thank you for the positive thoughts when the hike was still underway, and the congratulations after! Here are a few links that may be of interest:

Instagram with photos and updates I posted: https://www.instagram.com/projectofscience/

Garmin inReach tracking: share.garmin.com/returnofthedodo. (This link is currently open but will become password protected at some point)

Caltopo of the inReach track: https://caltopo.com/m/L3R55

Both of these have some oddities/garbage due to bluetooth issues between my phone and the device, and then the device sometimes just not communicating with the satellites for no apparent reason. If you are really interested in higher resolution tracks for certain sections I have data for most of the days from my watch. I'm a little hesitant to just dump all of it for the masses. There are a few sections I'd give strong caution to, and a couple I would just say were the wrong path to take, so I'd hate to give people the illusion it all goes easily. The 30-minute track on caltopo does give a pretty good idea of the general path.

Big thanks to my girlfriend for answering questions up to this point! Let us know if you have more.

Thanks again everyone!
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Do you have an estimate for total distance/elevation gain for the whole effort? Just wild. Congrats.
the dodo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by the dodo »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:00 pm Do you have an estimate for total distance/elevation gain for the whole effort? Just wild. Congrats.
Yep, total distance I have at 1182.5 miles and 297497 ft gain. Two days of watch data (July 19th and 21st; thankfully short-ish non-peak days) didn't sync correctly and I don't think Garmin will be much help to get the files back so I've estimated these days. Either way, any change will be minimal.