Mount Lindsey Closure

Information on current and past 14er closures, usually due to private property issues.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Mount Lindsey Closure

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Bombay2Boulder wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:47 pm
Above_Treeline wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:21 pm
hellmanm wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:45 pm

Just as a quick rec, I'd suggest doing California's North Ridge via the Zapata Trail (1 mile from the Lily Lake TH) if you're in the basin and going for California. The slope up from Lily Lake is a mess of loose talus, and, while the lake is gorgeous, the push to the summit ridge is not. The N Ridge is class 1+ (maybe a few seconds of class 2) and a beautiful tundra walk. Also, the last mile to the Lily Lake TH is the toughest part of the road, so your car will thank you.
Definitely interested!! Any directions I don't remember seeing a trail a mile before the lake. Probably because I wasn't looking. This is different from the alternate , shorter descent route listed here? Also not sure if road is fixed currently 4wd recommended on here. Really needed clearance before imo. Really going for the record made it <1mi to TH in low clearance 2wd. Probably not doing that again :D

Definitely interested in lily lake this might be easier though
Check out caltopo scanned topos later for the area. Follow the north ridge until you see a trail. It's named as Raspberry trail and follows the wilderness boundary to the trailhead road. .
There's a few reports here that have pictures and stuff.
Just a note that the trailhead is not that well marked, look for a brown trail marker stick with "853" on it and the usual symbols for allowed/not allowed uses. Parking for about 2 cars right there. Its right where the map shows it, just that you might miss it if watching the road.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
14ers: 14 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

Hey sorry if someone has already asked this, but is Huerfano off limits too? Thanks!
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

Gulf_Coast_Hiker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm Hey sorry if someone has already asked this, but is Huerfano off limits too? Thanks!
Technically the property line is the ridge that runs between Iron Nipple and Huerfano. I think Huerfanito is also in this boat.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Gulf_Coast_Hiker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm Hey sorry if someone has already asked this, but is Huerfano off limits too? Thanks!
As long as you stay on or west of the ridgeline, you should be good to go. The green is NF land.
Screenshot_20220808-160810_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220808-160810_Chrome.jpg (175.34 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Scott P wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:11 pm As long as you stay on or west of the ridgeline, you should be good to go. The green is NF land.
The terrain in that area is worse than it looks. It would very difficult to impossible to stay west of that line the whole way.
FB_IMG_1659997174302.jpg
FB_IMG_1659997174302.jpg (153.14 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:16 pm The terrain in that area is worse than it looks. It would very difficult to impossible to stay west of that line the whole way.
I have only done it to Iron Nipple, but that photo doesn't make the ridgeline look that hard to stay on. Do you have to bypass anything on the east side?

If and when the private land is closed you could still climb the peak if you stay on the ridgeline or west, harder or not.

Edit: Here's Alyson Kirk's GPX track as an example (though since it's red, it can be hard to see in the ridge). It shows her staying on the ridgeline with one exception just above 13,600 where it briefly crosses into the private land. As long as that tiny place can be avoided (it doesn't look that bad in the photo?), Huerfano should still be climbable even if the private land gets closed.
Screenshot_20220808-170257_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220808-170257_Chrome.jpg (139.64 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
14ers: 14 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

Hey All - Thanks for your replies concerning Huerfano. It looks like I'd be treading too close to whatever the land owners are afraid of so maybe best just to steer clear until there's a resolution....I've got plenty of other options for sure!!
scvaughn
14ers: 43 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scvaughn »

I'd be perfectly happy to register and sign a waiver if Bacon would allow access to Lindsey in return. It looked so tempting from Blanca and Ellingwood a few weeks ago. :-D
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

scvaughn wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:32 pm I'd be perfectly happy to register and sign a waiver if Bacon would allow access to Lindsey in return. It looked so tempting from Blanca and Ellingwood a few weeks ago. :-D
In these situations, is it possible for a property owner to provide a digital waiver that one can print, sign, and bring with them on their hike?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

scvaughn wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:32 pm I'd be perfectly happy to register and sign a waiver if Bacon would allow access to Lindsey in return. It looked so tempting from Blanca and Ellingwood a few weeks ago. :-D
You'd be surprised how useless waivers become in a lawsuit. I've seen it happen several times now, full liability waivers signed, person gets injured on a property during an event or whatever, landowner ends up getting named in a lawsuit (usually forced by the insurance company of the injured mind you, regardless of the injured party's feelings on the matter), and nearly end up losing their property. Personally if I were a landowner I wouldn't rely on a liability waiver, I'd be looking to sell a strip of land/easement if I truly wanted access to continue.

That said I want to hike Lindsey...patiently waiting for the situation to get sorted out.
scvaughn
14ers: 43 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by scvaughn »

madmattd wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:01 pm
You'd be surprised how useless waivers become in a lawsuit. I've seen it happen several times now, full liability waivers signed, person gets injured on a property during an event or whatever, landowner ends up getting named in a lawsuit (usually forced by the insurance company of the injured mind you, regardless of the injured party's feelings on the matter), and nearly end up losing their property. Personally if I were a landowner I wouldn't rely on a liability waiver, I'd be looking to sell a strip of land/easement if I truly wanted access to continue.

That said I want to hike Lindsey...patiently waiting for the situation to get sorted out.
I definitely understand, and am also waiting patiently for a viable solution. In the meantime, there are plenty of other things to do in the Sangres.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Maybe the guy who recently fkt'd the 14ers can shed some light on how he gained access to Lindsey?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point