Mount Lindsey Closure

Information on current and past 14er closures, usually due to private property issues.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Lindsey Closure

Post by Skimo95 »

Email from the ranch
Attachments
A0FFAAD2-B9D0-4F03-840E-0EE06F6935A0.jpeg
A0FFAAD2-B9D0-4F03-840E-0EE06F6935A0.jpeg (214.97 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Skimo95 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm Email from the ranch
It begins…
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Anyone who does enter is trespassing and does so at their own risk.
Well that's ambiguous. Does that mean "You're trespassing now so you can't sue us" or "You're trespassing and we'll bring charges against you if we catch you"? I'm guessing it's the first one but they are hoping that posting the sign leads most people to assume the second one considering the other private lands in the area.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

montanahiker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:07 pm
Well that's ambiguous. Does that mean "You're trespassing now so you can't sue us" or "You're trespassing and we'll bring charges against you if we catch you"? I'm guessing it's the first one but they are hoping that posting the sign leads most people to assume the second one considering the other private lands in the area.
my assumption is that the ambiguity was strategic. removes the accountability of the ranch to follow through on any written "threats". quotes because it's hardly a threat to imply there will be consequences for breaking the law

again, maybe y'all don't trespass and give everyone the best opportunity for a clean resolution
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Ninja attire and a red headlamp will get er done.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Mountainsroam_2012
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountainsroam_2012 »

SteveBonowski wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:39 pm I did Lindsey back in the mid-1990s. It's the only 14er I did during my active "bagging career" (1982-2018; finished the 55 in '99) that featured a dead body about 100' down and east of the summit ridge. Somebody had fallen; rest in peace; and the sheriff hadn't gotten the body out yet.
Damn man I bet that messed with your head climbing that day??
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

yardman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:56 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:02 pm Here is the case text for the Nelson vs. US case. The judgment ultimately was made using the Colorado Premises Liability Act ("CPLA"). Basically, Nelson was found to be an invitee vs. trespasser and was subsequently awarded damages. By posting signs the ranch can claim that you are not an invitee, but rather a trespasser. A trespasser may recover only for damages willfully or deliberately caused by the landowner.
Exactly!
It turns out that I was bit off with my analysis. The above statement is not entirely accurate, there was more to it than I was reading. The original judgement found CRUS did not apply and therefore Nelson was not considered an invitee under CRUS which if he was would have made the CLPA moot. The US appealed the verdict to the 10th Circuit Court. The circuit court found that CRUS did apply, which means Nelson was an invitee and therefore CLPA did not apply. However, once the circuit court found that CRUS did apply, it meant that the lower court had to reexamine the rest of the CRUS statute that was not initially considered because that threshold had not been met in the original decision. So, upon reconsideration the lower court found that an exception in CRUS did apply (the US was willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against a known dangerous condition likely to cause harm) and damages were awarded. The US appealed again to the circuit court and the new findings of the lower court were upheld. Westword actually has a pretty good summary of how the case unfolded.

So, this issue with CRUS is way more nuanced than I first believed it to be. The ranch's knee jerk reaction to put up the no trespass signage is understandable, but I have a feeling it does not protect them unless they enforce it. If they do not have plans to enforce no trespassing and they really don't mind folks summiting Lindsey, they would be better off placing signage that tells folks to stay on trail and be aware of dangerous conditions that may exist. I imagine this is what CFI will be working with them on.
wynnski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wynnski »

Thanks
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

montanahiker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:07 pm
Just because there is a sign, it doesn't mean you are trespassing. They have to prove you KNOWINGLY were unlawfully present. And how do you prove someone knew? The most ironclad way is you find them unlawfully present, you serve them with a trespass notice and then the next time you catch them you can prove they were knowingly there. Even then, it's like a class 1 petty offense. If you give them the "I didn't see the sign" treatment there is very little they can do.

It was like every one's head on the dot com was blowing up when bross or whatever closed this summer. And it was probably routinely getting hiked each and every day.

This isn't me advocating for people to break the law, regardless of how difficult it may to be enforce. Or how small the penalty may be. I think the landowners don't care, because they never really have in the past. They're just scared of the legal liability. I respect their rights to close the mountain, there are just too many other peaks which are way cooler for me to really care about a mountain that will be open sometime in the future.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:30 am
Ptglhs wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:19 am I hope a few thousand people hike up there and pee on the sign before summiting. "Please respect the private property closure" is a siren song of the oppressed embracing the chains which shackle them. Why should we respect it? Do the 'owners' respect our ambition to recreate on land which they aren't using? Owners respect very little save their own avarice. By what right does anyone claim ownership of the earth? We have reified private land ownership, cordoned off the commons, and commodified nature. I shall respect the private property rights in the alpine as much as they respect human dignity, which is to say not at all.
=D>

Totally agree. BS to claim ownership of the earth. Gotta love how people are consistently voting against their own best interests and idolizing people just because they're rich.
I'm curious, what are your living arrangements? I presume it's some sort of fixed abode, aka private property. But I'm sure you'd be okay with it if I "squat" there next time I visit Colorado. After all, I have as much right to be there as you do, correct? \:D/
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:51 pm Ninja attire and a red headlamp will get er done.
good tip for anyone attempting to be the first to climb all the 14ers dressed like a ninja.

just don't forget to bring these for the more technical peaks.

"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Candace66 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:03 pm
12ersRule wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:30 am
Ptglhs wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:19 am I hope a few thousand people hike up there and pee on the sign before summiting. "Please respect the private property closure" is a siren song of the oppressed embracing the chains which shackle them. Why should we respect it? Do the 'owners' respect our ambition to recreate on land which they aren't using? Owners respect very little save their own avarice. By what right does anyone claim ownership of the earth? We have reified private land ownership, cordoned off the commons, and commodified nature. I shall respect the private property rights in the alpine as much as they respect human dignity, which is to say not at all.
=D>

Totally agree. BS to claim ownership of the earth. Gotta love how people are consistently voting against their own best interests and idolizing people just because they're rich.
I'm curious, what are your living arrangements? I presume it's some sort of fixed abode, aka private property. But I'm sure you'd be okay with it if I "squat" there next time I visit Colorado. After all, I have as much right to be there as you do, correct? \:D/
Who knew that Louis Bacon resided on top of Mount Lindsey or even anywhere close. A residential structure is not the same as a 170,000 acre ranch and your argument is like comparing apples to a 170,000 acre ranch. Hiking one of the most unique pieces of land in the entire world is not the same as squatting in a residential structure and your argument is like comparing apples to squatting in a residential structure.