Mount Lindsey Closure

Information on current and past 14er closures, usually due to private property issues.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Mount Lindsey Closure

Post by HikerGuy »

Boggy B wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:56 am
HikerGuy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:24 pm ...
Thanks for this, as it's the real issue here. I don't read the outcome of the Nelson case as weakening the CO Recreational Use Statute, and it's surprising to see the case cited as the reason for posting a closure. A maintained (whether or not officially) MTB path carries a reasonable expectation of upkeep and therefore protection against hazards. A mountain trail does not. I guess a revision to the CRUS is in order to remove ambiguity, perhaps to exclude, generically, common natural hazards and to emphasize the exclusion of hazards inherent to the activity.
Yep, I think you summed it up nicely. Everything I've read recently points out that the Nelson case was a very narrow, specific finding and was not a good example of applying CRUS and that CRUS is not weak and would hold up just fine for its intended purpose.
Cole_Train89
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cole_Train89 »

tough crowd..walked up lindsey***
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

WOW. They closed Lindsey?

I tend to hate private property and private property rights. I live in TX and basically what you see here is the landowners often tearing up the property. And then they put up no trespassing signs. It's pretty stupid. I'm just going to walk around and that's illegal.

Whether it was the road going bad after the last ranch or the singing river ranch banning pulling off the public road I didn't feel like I was particularly welcome by the ranches and locals . I believe roadways here are 30-40 ft there's no way the road is that wide so idk how they managed to ban people parking. I'm sorry if there's issues with some people but I don't like being forced to bottom out the car either. And it's sad to see people on a mountain climbing forum supporting this.
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Above_Treeline wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:26 pm WOW. They closed Lindsey?

I tend to hate private property and private property rights.
Please PM me your address so that I can make myself at home.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilerness™
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

XterraRob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:57 pm

We're all going to be stuck at home if everyone has your attitude towards access
Above_Treeline
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

XterraRob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Making a comment like that you belong indoors in e. TX
dsr80304
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsr80304 »

Any update on this? Is Lindsey standard route officially closed?
Thx for any additional insight
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

Any chance of also negotiating access to Blanca Basin? 8-[ [-o<

An easier route to Little Bear and access to Hamilton Peak would be awesome. =P~ 8)
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Candace66 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:13 pm Any chance of also negotiating access to Blanca Basin? 8-[ [-o<

An easier route to Little Bear and access to Hamilton Peak would be awesome. =P~ 8)
+1
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Candace66 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:13 pm Any chance of also negotiating access to Blanca Basin? 8-[ [-o<

Hamilton is best climbed from Blanca. I've done it several times and it's a great traverse.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 am

Hamilton is best climbed from Blanca. I've done it several times and it's a great traverse.
It may be, but the maps I've consulted show that Hamilton is on private property. I'm not sure if it's owned by the same person who owns the land around Lindsey.
Maybe someone else could chime in.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Candace66 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:03 pm Hamilton is best climbed from Blanca. I've done it several times and it's a great traverse.

It may be, but the maps I've consulted show that Hamilton is on private property. I'm not sure if it's owned by the same person who owns the land around Lindsey.
Maybe someone else could chime in.

Yes, it is the same, all part of the Trinchera-Blanca Ranch. FWIW, one of the routes up Blanca that bypasses Gash by going to the Winchell Lakes, then over toward the Hamilton-Blanca ridge is all on private property. Highly doubtful this remote area would have signage or enforcement, but assume your own risk.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9