Mount Lindsey Closure

Information on current and past 14er closures, usually due to private property issues.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ClimbingFool
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Lindsey Closure

Post by ClimbingFool »

Candace66 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:39 pm
Ed_Groves wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 am
Maybe I just missed it, but I haven't seen an updated status on this. As a Missouri resident I am unaware of when the Colorado legislative session takes place each year. Where does it stand? Any further talks or hints of what direction a solution might take?
I'd also like to see an update. But unfortunately this thread has been completely hijacked.
I reached out to CFI for an update, but no response. Does anyone know where this now stands? Lindsey is part of my planned finisher week this summer, and coming from Missouri where I can usually arrange just one visit per year, I'd like a clearer picture.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

ClimbingFool wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:37 am
Ed_Groves wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 am
Maybe I just missed it, but I haven't seen an updated status on this. As a Missouri resident I am unaware of when the Colorado legislative session takes place each year. Where does it stand? Any further talks or hints of what direction a solution might take?
I'd also like to see an update. But unfortunately this thread has been completely hijacked.
I reached out to CFI for an update, but no response. Does anyone know where this now stands? Lindsey is part of my planned finisher week this summer, and coming from Missouri where I can usually arrange just one visit per year, I'd like a clearer picture.
As mentioned in the original post, the landowners may require a legislative change. I am unaware if this is only way to open access back up, but the legislative session goes from 1/12 to 5/11. A cursory look at introduced bills do not seem to indicate anything has been introduced to clarify landowner liability.
ClimbingFool
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:00 am
ClimbingFool wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:37 am

As mentioned in the original post, the landowners may require a legislative change. I am unaware if this is only way to open access back up, but the legislative session goes from 1/12 to 5/11. A cursory look at introduced bills do not seem to indicate anything has been introduced to clarify landowner liability.
Thanks. I appreciate the clarification.
ClimbingFool
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

Tiny update after reaching out to CFI. They are hoping to bring together the landowners and CO Parks & Wildlife soon to talk about moving forward, though a positive outcome likely hinges on legislative activity, which is being spearheaded by CO Mountain Club.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Thank you for this update. I am quite interested in seeing a positive outcome on this issue as I'm sure others are also.
Personally, my interest is moderately selfish as Lindsey is one of my remaining 14ers. In the meantime, I'll work on the others.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

ltlFish99 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:18 pm Thank you for this update. I am quite interested in seeing a positive outcome on this issue as I'm sure others are also.
Personally, my interest is moderately selfish as Lindsey is one of my remaining 14ers. In the meantime, I'll work on the others.
It's a BEAUTIFUL hike. We were fortunate to get it this summer right before all this went down. Hoping you can too soon!
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

does anyone have any updates here?
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

Is this the legal change they were trying to get through? It appears to have gone through the entire process and become law.

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb22-115
ClimbingFool
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

Candace66 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:29 pm Is this the legal change they were trying to get through? It appears to have gone through the entire process and become law.

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb22-115
The CO 14ers Initiative reached out to the landowners last week to confirm the current status of the mountain and hadn't heard back from them as of Monday.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Maybe email Louis Bacon if you want to climb Lindsey. I did last year and he seemed very open to allowing me to climb Hamilton from the old trailhead on the private property side. Unfortunately, I didn't get the time for this.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:43 am Maybe email Louis Bacon if you want to climb Lindsey. I did last year and he seemed very open to allowing me to climb Hamilton from the old trailhead on the private property side. Unfortunately, I didn't get the time for this.
It’s that easy to email a billionaire master of the universe?
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

JChitwood wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:06 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:43 am Maybe email Louis Bacon if you want to climb Lindsey. I did last year and he seemed very open to allowing me to climb Hamilton from the old trailhead on the private property side. Unfortunately, I didn't get the time for this.
It’s that easy to email a billionaire master of the universe?
Surprisingly yes. I didn't expect to hear back.
Last edited by CaptainSuburbia on Thu May 26, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point