Favorite 14er?!?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Favorite 14er?!?

Post by Scott P »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 pmIt probably shouldn’t surprise me anymore, considering how frequently it seems to come up, but I’m always a bit bemused by Capitol’s popularity. The approach trail is looooooooooong
The approach is one of the reasons I rated it as #1. It's really scenic and it gives a full mountain experience much more than the drive to timberline and hike from there peaks

For better or worse, many of the 14ers are lacking much of any approach. It's a much different experience than the high peaks in most of the other western states and sometimes it feels like something is missing if you drive up to near timberline. Of course I have done that plenty of times too, but it's nice that at least some of the 14ers have some wilderness character.

If it weren't for the approach on Capitol I might rage Wetterhorn as #1 instead.

Of course that's only my opinion.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:24 pm
HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 pm
It probably shouldn’t surprise me anymore, considering how frequently it seems to come up, but I’m always a bit bemused by Capitol’s popularity. The approach trail is looooooooooong, there’s a fair amount of boulder hopping to get to the scrambling, and then said scrambling is, imho (and I say this as someone who has an unfortunate degree of expertise in fourteener-induced hospital visits), nothing special. I mean, yeah, the Knife Edge is long and a potentially significant challenge if you don’t like exposure, but otherwise...meh. I personally wouldn’t call Capitol my very least favorite, but it’s definitely Top Five for fourteeners I’m happy to never revisit.
The cow trail was interesting, the aspens were fun to hike through, the fields beyond with Capitol in the distance were gorgeous in the evening light, the lake and the final alpenglow on the steep, majestic peak were captivating. Sunrise on the Daly saddle was cool, the boulders weren’t too bad to wander over/through, the climb up K2 was fun, the views of Capitol’s ridge from the top were incredible, the knife edge was exhilarating, the scrambling beyond interesting. The views to the south of Snowmass and the lakes below were spectacular (views in the other directions weren’t bad either). The summit.. I had actually hyped up the difficulty of Capitol so much that I asked said in my head, “Was that it?” I think I was expecting more Bells or Little Bear-Blanca type exposure. The knife edge definitely had exposure, but the rest wasn’t all that crazy.

Coming back down the Capitol-Daly saddle, seeing the sun washing the fields in golden light with the steep, impressive face of Capitol and the waters of Capitol Lake to the left, and other mountains including Sopris on my right.. I was pretty happy. Definitely had a really good experience on that peak.

That being said, I also really enjoyed the Bells, Little Bear-Blanca, and Crestones traverses. Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn, Chicago Basin and the sea of mountains, Sneffels and the super cools views - all those rank among my favorites. Pyramid on a warm, bluebird September day was my finisher, and a great one.
That’s legit. I do agree about the scenery; it’s rare that I haven’t at least enjoyed the views from whatever fourteener summit I was on (exceptions, of course, being when there wasn’t much to see due to weather/smoke/etc.). It probably is worth noting that I didn’t really care for scrambling and, by extension, scrambly peaks even before I fell off Pyramid - it was a means to an end more than an activity I sought out just for the fun of it, unlike straightforward hiking, which I genuinely like. So pretty much all of my Least Favorite Fourteeners are the ones I’ve done that have significant/sustained scrambling, and I have no doubt Capitol will get knocked down from the Top Five to the Top Ten, maybe even Top Fifteen, once I can go for Pyramid and the Bells, if not all the ones I have left that I’m too close to finishing to write off. :/
Scott P wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:40 pm The approach is one of the reasons I rated it as #1. It's really scenic and it gives a full mountain experience much more than the drive to timberline and hike from there peaks

For better or worse, many of the 14ers are lacking much of any approach. It's a much different experience than the high peaks in most of the other western states and sometimes it feels like something is missing if you drive up to near timberline. Of course I have done that plenty of times too, but it's nice that at least some of the 14ers have some wilderness character.

If it weren't for the approach on Capitol I might rage Wetterhorn as #1 instead.

Of course that's only my opinion.
I actually found the approach to be one of few redeeming features of that mountain (though I definitely preferred it on my second, successful attempt, when the cattle had been moved elsewhere due to excessive wildfire smoke :X ). I’m amazed that Capitol gets so frequently praised in spite of it, since a lot of the more active posters here seem to prefer their peaks short, steep, and (again imho) scary!
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
ncxhjhgvbi
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ncxhjhgvbi »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 pm there’s a fair amount of boulder hopping to get to the scrambling
I avoided this by going in early July - easy snow travel instead of the boulder hopping definitely made the experience more enjoyable!

My favorite route was definitely KC North Ridge so I have it listed as my favorite 14er. Snowmass S-Ridge was probably a close 2nd, I didnt find the west sloopes to be too bad on the way down and LKB is beautiful. I definitely felt the most satisfaction on top of Capitol, and getting back to the lake and looking at where I had been felt amazing. Maroon and Pyramid are top 5 for the scrambling and the views (almost got hit by some natural rockfall on North Maroon so that soured my day). As most state, Crestone Needle is the most consistent - it will probably be the 14er I frequent the most after I finish (besides taking friends and family up the easier front range ones), and that says something about it.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Mtnman200 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am Little Bear is the only peak that matters.
I see what you did there, fellow Clash fan.
The only band that matters
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Favorite 14er is often the last 14er you just did. For me that is Missouri Mtn - yesterday. BTW - I feel like Missouri doesn’t get enough love. That long approach along the ridge was sweet, along with the views and that big wide open basin on other side of Elkhead Pass.

Other favs:
- Cap
- Unc (first)
- Huron (only one with daughter so far)
- Little Wilson
- Wetterhorn
- And others. So hard to choose just one!
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

Kit Carson.

The North Ridge is an amazing scramble, especially if you hang it out on the edge proper.

The Prow is one of Colorado's finest alpine routes.

The summit is guarded by absolutely delicious mid-5th class pitches.

The rock is incredible, unique, and the south side of the mountain has so much character.

There are two decent north facing couloirs.

Spanish Creek and Willow Lake basins are beautiful.

The views are top notch. The full Crestone massif, the dunes, the Blanca group, the SLV far below, the skinny spine of the Sangres...

Many of the mountains have some unparalleled charms. But I think Kit Carson has the notch on them for everything combined.

Of course, I've never gone during mosquito season :)...or done the standard route.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Longs is my favorite. I first went up longs during my 1st summer hiking, a long time ago.
It was my 3rd 14er.
I think the view from when you first hit timberline is wonderful, and it just gets better.
Glacier gorge from the keyhole was just great,, then wild basin views from the narrows.
Then the summit.
I enjoy it very much, and have returned many times.
Including hikes and failed attempts, I have spent almost a month on longs.
Plus, it was close , as I used to live by Denver.

Torreys is special as it was my first 14er experience.
I enjoyed kelso ridge in winter.
I have skied it twice, once by myself on one of the most enjoyable days of my life.

Capitol is in my top 3.
It was my 2nd 14er.
It was my first summer of hiking.
I was so much youngaernd excited by everything in the mountains that was so new to my experience at that time.
It was simply thrilling and I stayed a 2nd night at the lake after the summit trip.
For me, a wonderful bonus on that trip was the morning after summit day we woke up to ths north face of Capitol bathed in fresh snow.
I know I am stating the the obvious, by nothing brings a beautiful mountain completley alive like a coat of white freedom.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

The one I plan to climb next!
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:33 am The only band that matters
Think they were singing about Peak Q?
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
conorpowderhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by conorpowderhunter »

Anything in the San Juans!
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

So far -

Standard route: Wetterhorn - in my “favorite __er” thread, somebody linked a post about why it’s the best 14er and I must agree that for someone unafraid of heights it’s the best first 14er. Short, beautiful, thrilling.

Personal experience: Capitol or Crestone. Capitol’s ridge direct and Crestone’s north buttress are both wildly exposed and in some of the best position possible in the state. Awesome routes, although both very high commitment and not to be taken lightly, especially the last several hundred vertical feet and the traverse from NE crestone to the true summit on Crestone’s North Buttress.

All routes considered: Longs. A lifetime of alpine climbing to be had on that mountain. I’ll be back many times.
RJ_Greenhorn24
14ers: 12 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (12)

Post by RJ_Greenhorn24 »

Favorite 14er : Uncompaghre
Favorite route: Kelso Ridge
Favorite 13er: Precipice Peak
Least favorite peak ever INCLUDING BROSS: Yale. I hated it and would rather do Elbert repeatedly than step foot on that never ending trail again. ](*,)
"I don't think you fully understand the consequences of your pickle thievery" - Classic summit conversation