Top 200 Pageant

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Top 200 Pageant

Post by Marmot72 »

On 8/31/21, I completed both the centennials and bicentennials by climbing Pigeon and Turret from N Pigeon Creek. Putting lists behind me after completing the 14ers years back, I just climbed 13ers by prioritizing the "interesting ones" and trying to be efficient by climbing neighboring peaks in the area. It wasn't until I got into the 400s that I thought about prioritizing the top 200. Finishing on Pigeon and Turret appealed because of the location of these peaks and prominence that Pigeon enjoys, and it was just an accident. I wanted to climb these with one trip into Ruby Basin to collect them with Fifteen, Animas and Monitor, and everyone I know fell into one of two camps: they had already climbed these or had no intention of climbing Fifteen. So when a freak snowstorm over Labor Day 2020 prevented tuftommy and me from getting Pigeon and Turret, the stage was set for this finish.

Benners and I have reflected that the Top 200 peaks in CO is a fun list: the ratio of scrambles to walk ups improves from the 14ers and even the cents, and it involves going to many beautiful areas of the state. On this topic, beauty, I now am presenting my pageant of peaks from the Top 200 (14ers exempted because yes, there are some awesome ones, but the subject matter is well-trodden).

Mt Stone/Easy A: Emma. This fair lady draws your attention at various spots around Telluride. Fun memory: when I climbed this, I was within 1/2 mile of the summit on the south ridge and saw a fox only 60 or so vertical feet below.
Mt Jealousy: West Spanish, which overshadows its twin to the east as the sun sets.
Mt. Narnia (as in the eternal winter): Cathedral, with its couloir that is always filled in and makes for some great plunge-stepping on a summer descent. A "fun" memory of this peak is that I camped with Aaron (andyouseeme) for this outing. I slept in the car; he slept beneath it and a bunch of coyotes were yipping in the night, prompting me to wonder for his safety.
Mt Scramblemore: US Grant. After the famous (and probably overhyped) headwall, continuing eastward on the ridge involves some fun, sustained scrambling. You can stay proper or near to it the whole time, despite the rugged appearance in many sections.
Mt Shufflemore: Peak Seven offers the best class two route. This exposed walk up offers up close views of Storm King, Peaks 8 & 9, and the Trinities. All the way to the top, you'll stop to turn around and look at the splendor behind you.
Mt Chameleon: Rolling Mountain. A sprawling, double-headed mass, this peak appears so different from various vantages. While it looks more gentle and "rolling" from the Bandora mining road, it appears much more conical and alpine from the twin sisters to the east. And it appears to be an entirely different mountain from the basin it shares with V10 and Grizzly B.
Mt Hospitality: Matterhorn offers a superb "summit lounge." Despite is conical shape, the summit is fairly spacious and offers various comfy slabs for a nap.
Mt Visa: We have a tie here; there are two peaks that appear everywhere you want to be. Rio Grand Pyramid and Pigeon Peak are ubiquitous from all over the San Juans.
Mt Underrated: This is another tie. White Dome for its great views and some fun, casual class 3 scrambling on quartzite slabs, and Anderson, for some quality scrambling and a little pinch of exposure, with a lovely lake below.

and....the Pageant Winner, Mt Colorado: A tie between Vestal (when done via Wham Ridge) and Jagged. Great climbing and spectacular positions in the Grenadiers/Needles sub-ranges that are arguably the most scenic/inspiring in the state.

For any who read this whole thing, thanks for indulging me, I hope you enjoyed it, and keep on hiking and climbing safely.

-Steve
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Top 200 Pageant

Post by JChitwood »

Steve…congratulations on a great finish. Love your Pageant of Peaks thanks for putting it together.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Congratulations on completing the bicentennials, Steve, and thanks for your fun pageant post. It was nice to meet you at Cielo Vista Ranch in 2017.

BTW, your 2011 Mt. Scramblemore (V4 - US Grant - V2 traverse) trip report at https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=11250 inspired Randy and me to do that traverse in 2018, and we had a blast. We probably wouldn't have attempted that route if we hadn't seen your trip report.

Eddie
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

That’s awesome, congrats!

Looking forward to hitting some of your list, thanks for sharing!
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

Congrats Steve!

I was hoping to be involved in your big finish but as you mentioned - last year’s crazy snowstorm in early Sept prevented that. We still had a memorable time (at least I did!) on 15/16/12 and the Monitor to Animas run. Thanks for inviting me on that trip and along with our trip to Taylor and Star it’s been great climbing with you. To anyone considering a trip with Steve: he’s the real deal and a VERY solid scrambler and climbing partner.

I know your future endeavors will take you out of state so good luck on those “other” lists and hope to see you on some of them. Best to you! TT
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Congrats...
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak200 »

That’s huge great job
I hope to get to that point some day
E_A_Marcus_949
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Congrats!
Fun to read your pageant winners and naming conventions!
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Congrats!!
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

WOW :shock: Quite the feat! Congratulations =D> Loved the write-up.
Century Bound, eventually.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

Marmot72 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 pm Benners and I have reflected that the Top 200 peaks in CO is a fun list: the ratio of scrambles to walk ups improves from the 14ers and even the cents, and it involves going to many beautiful areas of the state.
I completely agree...Congrats on finishing.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Congrats, Steve!

And love the list of winners! Having done nearly all of those, good list and supporting evidence!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach