Wilson Peak Question - Answered!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ohio14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Wilson Peak Question - Answered!

Post by Ohio14ers »

I posted a question a few weeks ago regarding Wilson Peak and the dangerous looking crux section. Many people responded that it’s not as bad as it looks. Thank you to everyone because you were right. Climbed it this Monday and it was awesome! I loved it!! Everyone was correct in that the view from the false summit is daunting, but you can see the line and it actually becomes very easy. Thanks to all, a great climb on a great mountain.

Also did Mount Wilson on Wednesday from the Kilpacker Trailhead. If somebody could go up and remove 752,742,942,614 tons of talus and replace it with a trail that would be great! Joking of course, that was a real ankle breaker, like Sneffels.

Thanks again to all. Wilson Peak is not as dangerous as it looks. Pick your line and stay safe!
Zeepe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wilson Peak Question - Answered!

Post by Zeepe »

I'm hiking Mount wilson and el diente this weekend!!! still deciding if I should do the traverse or not. Lots of people saying it's mild and easy and there's a clear path. But also I've been watching the youtube videos and some of the exposure looks scary as hell!!!

Also there was an incident of 1 person got lost on el diente recently and 1 girl from Fort collins who fell from the traverse so that made it more uneasy for me.

Let me know on your thoughts on this!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Zeepe wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:40 am I'm hiking Mount wilson and el diente this weekend!!! still deciding if I should do the traverse or not. Lots of people saying it's mild and easy and there's a clear path.
There is not a "clear path" nor is it "mild and easy". Easier than many other routes but not easy compared to standard 14er routes.

The traverse is Class 3 and 4, without a trail.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Having done the El Diente --> Mt. Wilson traverse last year, there are a few downclimbs that will have your full attention and I know for me personally I was glad to have a spotter for. This is particularly the case on the last 1/3 of the traverse. Not sure what day this weekend you are planning but the weather forecast this weekend isn't ideal. I would carefully evaluate.
Ohio14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ohio14ers »

Please listen to Bill Middlebrook on this. I have done 41 of the 14ers, and would consider myself an average climber, not terrified of exposure but not perfectly cool either. From what I saw the traverse is exactly as Bill described. It’s mostly class 3 with class 4 sections, but a lot of the rock is crumbly. If you have the skills go for it. At this point in my life I don’t think I have those skills. I did the Wilson’s and will come back another day for El Diente. We were on Wilson Peak when the helicopter flew over rescuing the guy who cliffed out on El Diente. Thank God he made it. Just accurately judge your skills and come back another day and don’t press too much. I am not the 14ers police of course, like everyone I just want people to be safe above all else.
Ecocrazy
14ers: 51  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Ecocrazy »

Hijacking this thread a bit... I'm thinking about doing the traverse tomorrow and super curious how much snow fell and how much trickier it might make the traverse. Anyone up there today?
Zeepe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zeepe »

I just summited Mount Wilson on Saturday 9/18/21 and looked at the traverse to El diente and decided against going on it. Also the weather was going badly as well so I didn't risk it. Glad I didn't as it rained all night from 8pm-7am Saturday night! So bummed I have to go back to El Diente again!!! But the mountains will always be there!!! Until next time!!