Class 3/4 peaks around Creede/Lake City

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Class 3/4 peaks around Creede/Lake City

Post by CoHi591 »

Hey everyone
I was wondering if I could get any input/suggestions on good scrambles for my trip this week. I'm in Durango and heading back to Denver. I've been on the road a lot lately and don't want to add a crazy amount of driving to the already long drive, but I am planning to take the Pagosa route and stop in Creede and climb Phoenix. From there I've got another day and I'm really craving some good class 3-4 scrambling. I was thinking my best bet would be to moderately extend the trip by popping over to Lake City and doing... something. Matterhorn maybe, with a repeat of Wetterhorn? Is there a class 3 bit on Half Peak? Am I overlooking anything fun that isn't too dangerous for a solo ropeless trek? 12ers welcome too, if you know of any easy approach gems near Durango/Pagosa/Creede. Thanks in advance.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
tortilla
14ers: 58 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Class 3/4 peaks around Creede/Lake City

Post by tortilla »

Start at the west willow creek trailhead by the equity mine and climb 13285, either via the grassy slopes south of equity or by following the ridge from San Luis pass. You are now on the continental divide. Follow that stretch of ridge over to 13155. Ridge direct goes 4th low 5th in a couple places but it’s easy to lower the difficulty by dropping to climbers right. Some very fun scrambling.

From 13155, descend to the saddle with San Luis and follow the CT/CDT back to San Luis pass.

Edit: lefts and rights are confusing. Dropping to climbers right eases the difficulty
Last edited by tortilla on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Sounds like the 13300A/13180C/13155 traverse is what you want. Off West Willow Creek TH between Creede and San Luis. Easy 4wd the last time I drove it several years ago, definitely easier than the road to Phoenix. I recall part of the ridge coming and/or going from 13180C is kinda chossy. 13155 summit block is a fun, solid scramble. As I recall the ridge is committing; you go back the way you came if you don't make it to 13155. If you do make it there, return via CDT.

One of the 13ers on the other side is also a scramble, but I forget which.

Quarter Peak is a little shorter than Half and is Class 3.

Whitecross (north of Handies) is 2+/3 on the ridge and has an interesting summit area

If you feel like driving to Cinnamon Pass, the Wood/13708/Animas Forks combo has a neat catwalk and overall rates 2+/easy 3, loose in spots

Broken Hill between Unc and Wet is an easyish scramble, several ways to do it
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Excellent excellent, thank you both so much.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Grizzly Adams
14ers: 5 
13ers: 208 1 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grizzly Adams »

tortilla wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 am Start at the west willow creek trailhead by the equity mine and climb 13285, either via the grassy slopes south of equity or by following the ridge from San Luis pass. You are now on the continental divide. Follow that stretch of ridge over to 13155. Ridge direct goes 4th low 5th in a couple places but it’s easy to lower the difficulty by dropping to climbers left. Some very fun scrambling.

From 13155, descend to the saddle with San Luis and follow the CT/CDT back to San Luis pass.
What he said. Ridge direct to 155 is fun and I remember the west face of the summit block surprisingly solid.
Hilliardsam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hilliardsam »

tortilla wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 am Start at the west willow creek trailhead by the equity mine and climb 13285, either via the grassy slopes south of equity or by following the ridge from San Luis pass. You are now on the continental divide. Follow that stretch of ridge over to 13155. Ridge direct goes 4th low 5th in a couple places but it’s easy to lower the difficulty by dropping to climbers right. Some very fun scrambling.

Edit: lefts and rights are confusing. Dropping to climbers right eases the difficulty
Do you have a GPX or map of this? Also shot you an email, @Tortilla