Class 3/4 near Colorado Springs?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Class 3/4 near Colorado Springs?

Post by Jim Davies »

The upper part of Sentinel Point is a good scramble - 100' or so of huge boulders. There's also a boulder field on the standard route from the north end of Horsethief Park that has potential for a lot of playing around.

The summit of Mount Kineo has good rocks. Another one (like Sentinel) where the hike-to-scramble ratio is low, though.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Two more I'll add, one I've done and one that looks fun but I haven't done yet:

"The Pinnacle": https://listsofjohn.com/peak/171155 (Right off N Cheyenne Canyon Road. If you wrap around climber's right for the approach - to the north, then east, then south, it's a steep and loose ascent. Going up climber's left might be viable, haven't gone that way. Looks bushwhacky. The final ascent is a short class 3+/4 wall to the summit).

"Aiguille du Saint Peter": https://listsofjohn.com/peak/212350 (Haven't done this one, but looks like a fun addition to St Peters Dome).

I agree that Kineo is fun. There's a trail almost all the way to the top, then some class 2. Good views and a big dropoff to the east, and some rocks to play around on. The actual summit I believe is further west and in the forest, but the cool rocky lookout point is to the east.
enoki
14ers: 33 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by enoki »

Awesome lists, bdloftin! Definitely looking forward to checking some of these out.

And Jim, Kineo is one of my favorites in the area for sure. Will have to check out Sentinel.
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

enoki wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 am Awesome lists, bdloftin! Definitely looking forward to checking some of these out.
No problem! Let me know if you have questions for any of those, or would like GPX or beta for the ones I’ve completed. :)

-Ben