Halo Ridge on Holy Cross, Water, Acclimatization, Forest Spookiness in the Dark

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainMetaphor
14ers: 29 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Halo Ridge on Holy Cross, Water, Acclimatization, Forest Spookiness in the Dark

Post by MountainMetaphor »

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for my 28th 14er to be Mt. of the Holy Cross, and I'm weighing doing the North Ridge route up and the Halo Ridge route down. I have a few questions for those who've done this route or parts of:

How much water should I bring? I prefer to start all trips with my 3-liter water bladder completely filled, so that if I got into some kind of trouble, I'd have a chance of having enough water until I could get out of the situation. I know there's a creek crossing about half way up the North Ridge route and that would be my only chance to re-fill if needed until I'm descending from the Notch shelter. Should I plan on 4 liters to get me from the creek crossing to the summit and around Halo Ridge?

I'm going on a forecasted clear day and planning to start at 4am on the Half Moon trail. With other peaks, that climb in the pre-dawn hours takes me steadily up to and beyond tree line, and I feel "safe" in the dark because I know I'm looking forward to dawn and thinning trees. But on this route, after ascending Half Moon Pass I'll plunge back down into the forest and maybe it sounds silly to some of you but as a solo hiker I just want to be prepared: How spooky is it? It's just different from other routes and I know those woods are dense and full of huge boulder outcroppings and other...shadowy things. Just would love to hear others' experience, esp from other women who've hiked this route alone in the dark.

Lastly, until a couple of years ago I lived at >8,000 ft. elevation here in Colorado. I spent a lot of time at higher elevations for both work and play, and so back then the idea of spending many hours at ~13,000 ft. didn't concern me. But now, living in Denver, I'm worried how that prolonged elevation might affect me. I haven't been at higher than ~12,000 ft. in a few weeks, though several weeks ago I spent nearly 2 hours relaxing on the summit of Handies Peak and felt just fine the entire trip. Wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience of living at a higher elevation and then moving to a lower one and how that affected their prolonged exposures to high altitude.

Thanks! I'm not dead-set on this route but if I'm going to do it I want to be prepared (of course).
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Halo Ridge on Holy Cross, Water, Acclimatization, Forest Spookiness in the Dark

Post by bsiegs »

Did Halo Ridge up, Standard Route back down a few weeks ago - recommend doing it this way, but if the forecast is supposed to be good all day I guess it doesn't matter too much. Just don't get caught in the ridge if there's T-Storms. It's a long day but definitely worth it to do Halo Ridge. I also have a 3-liter water bladder, and this was enough for me for the entire day.

The forest section doesn't feel any "spookier" or different from any other hikes, imo. Standard route is obviously well traveled, and you'll likely have many other hikers on the trail, even starting as early as you plan to.

You know best how you deal with altitude, but I will say that while Halo Ridge itself does take a while to traverse, it's really not that bad. As long as you have food and water and don't rush, I wouldn't think coming from Denver would be an issue.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Halo Ridge on Holy Cross, Water, Acclimatization, Forest Spookiness in the Dark

Post by MtnHub »

I concur. I've done the loop 4x but think the Notch/Halo Ridge up and Standard route down is the best way to go. The best feature of this way is seeing MtHC highlighted at dawn from the shelter -- magnificent view! Plus I'd rather do Halo Ridge nearer the start of the loop. It is an exhausting trek and I'd rather do it when I'm fresher vs at the end when I'm tiring out more.

Unless you need more fluid than most people, I think 3L will hold you, but then if you do want to reload at the creek, you'll have the chance later in the day when you might run low.

One of my all-time favorite loops! Enjoy! :-D
kkinzli
14ers: 45 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kkinzli »

I just did this loop yesterday and agree that the best way to do it is to do Halo ridge first. I carried 4 liters without refilling and ran out at the top of Half Moon Pass on the way back.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

I'm planning to do the ridge this Saturday but since I'm going with a group (and they are only going up Holy Cross and down) we plan to go up Holy Cross first for sunrise/morning light.

Aside from needing a good weather window and not being fresh on the ridge are there any other reasons not to go HC then ridge? Looking at the route there doesn't seem to be any specific downclimb or crux that would encourage one way or the other
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
MountainMetaphor
14ers: 29 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainMetaphor »

kkinzli wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:22 pm I just did this loop yesterday and agree that the best way to do it is to do Halo ridge first. I carried 4 liters without refilling and ran out at the top of Half Moon Pass on the way back.
It's just that going that way leaves a 1,000-ft elevation gain at a point in the trek when I know I'll feel like 10 ft of gain is 10 ft too many. For that reason I'm actually surprised so many recommend Halo first rather than North Ridge first. Is it really that much better?

Also, how long did the whole trek take you? I seem to average about a mile/hour, give or take, on these 14er routes.
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 327 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

I climbed up the standard route and circled back via the Halo Ridge afterwards and was happy with that choice. The boulders do go on forever as you circle around Halo Ridge, so just be prepared for a long stretch of tedious rocks!

Also, if you're feeling good on the loop, stop by Holy Cross Ridge! It's a "Top 100" (centennial) peak that'll never be easier to bag than when you're doing this loop!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

MountainMetaphor wrote:
It's just that going that way leaves a 1,000-ft elevation gain at a point in the trek when I know I'll feel like 10 ft of gain is 10 ft too many. For that reason I'm actually surprised so many recommend Halo first rather than North Ridge first. Is it really that much better?
For most people, it will be easier to plod up the 1000' elevation gain on a good trail with tired legs, as opposed to dealing with the rough terrain on Halo Ridge with tired legs.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Ericds84
14ers: 39 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ericds84 »

I may be a lone dissenter, but I did this loop counterclockwise in September and saw many benefits. You climb to the notch mountain saddle early on (predawn) when it's cooler and less dehydrating. Another big benefit is optionality--you can bag HC and then decide whether you want to continue along the ridge or just turn around. If you do continue along the ridge, at least you don't have to deal with a massive elevation gain at the very end of your day/distance. I found going point-to-point not to be too bad once on the ridge.

I'll also say that a prior attempt to do the circuit clockwise had me turning around at the shelter due to earlier than expected A.M clouding. Had I been on the standard route, it would not have been nearly as committing to continue on toward the summit. Reaching the shelter is also was quite a slog in that direction.
arianna2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

My husband and I did Halo ridge a couple years ago. Loved it. Doing it the other way around is intriguing though. The slog back up the pass really wasn't a big deal. The sunrise was beautiful on the way up to the shelter. There wasn't anyone else on the ridge that day but quite a few on holy cross so less people doing it clockwise. I would have to check our TR but I think we would have started around 4 too and was at least 4 maybe 5pm by the time we got back. 3 liters should be fine especially if you brought a filter bottle to refill before the pass or from fall creek if you needed. I also think the first miles of trail either way are well built and would be fine in the dark. I think the trick is coming down off the summit the right way when you are going clockwise so if you went the other way you wouldn't have to deal with that. Lastly, you would need a good weather report for a little latter in the late morning to early afternoon since you would be on that ridge later. Have a great time. One of our favorites.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

kwhit24 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:27 pm Aside from needing a good weather window and not being fresh on the ridge are there any other reasons not to go HC then ridge? Looking at the route there doesn't seem to be any specific downclimb or crux that would encourage one way or the other
Great route either way with no crux moves that are easier one way or the other; only a lot of boulder and talus hopping. The view of HC early from Notch Mtn is the main advantage of going clockwise.
Aim high to end high
Pika
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pika »

I love starting out in the dark and hike through spooky stuff. It keeps my adrenalin flowing and somehow I end up doing better time without even realizing it. :-D I fight spookyness with noise. I click my hiking poles periodically; I sing to myself and just letting anything know around me that I am there. I do not stop much and start looking around in the headlight. Unless I wanna start seeing things that are not there. I don`t think the trail is any spookier than usual. And most of the time, I always run into people on the trail. Have fun!