Castle/Conundrum, Saddle Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Castle/Conundrum, Saddle Conditions

Post by bsiegs »

Hi Everybody,

Looking at doing Castle & Conundrum this weekend and have a few questions.

1) Any recommendations based on current conditions for the decision of descending the Castle/Conundrum saddle or hiking back up and over Castle? Is there any snow below the saddle currently?
2) Does anyone have any advice on good camping options near the Castle Creek trailhead? I'm planning to drive down tomorrow early evening, camp the night, and then start early Saturday.

Thanks!
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Castle/Conundrum, Saddle Conditions

Post by Skimo95 »

I’d personally avoid the saddle this time of year, unless you seek an adrenaline rush. There are marked spots leading up to the creek, with the best at the creek crossing. There’s also a great dispersed area, which has room for multiple tents at 11,000’ before the first bridge crossing. If you’re able to venture higher, there should be some rocky spots that will accommodate “camping”. Good luck!
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

+1 on re-summiting Castle and avoiding the crapfest beneath the saddle. Castle looks daunting when you're standing on the saddle, but it really is a quick easy hike back up.
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

Skimo95 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:24 pm I’d personally avoid the saddle this time of year, unless you seek an adrenaline rush.
What makes you say that?

(Genuine question as I plan out my nexts few weeks)
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

pbarn wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:35 pm
Skimo95 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:24 pm I’d personally avoid the saddle this time of year, unless you seek an adrenaline rush.
What makes you say that?

Very steep, very loose, prone to rockfall, somewhat scrambly, won't save you any time vs going over Castle again while also being potentially dangerous comparatively. Re-summiting Castle is best.
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

supranihilest wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:31 pm
pbarn wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:35 pm
What makes you say that?

Very steep, very loose, prone to rockfall, somewhat scrambly, won't save you any time vs going over Castle again while also being potentially dangerous comparatively. Re-summiting Castle is best.
:thumbup:
kkinzli
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kkinzli »

I was just up there last week and we had one in our party that went down the saddle and two of us went back over Castle. Going back over Castle is far and away the safe choice. My buddy who went down the saddle had to avoid all sorts of rockfall, some that we actually saw from above and must have been moving in the 30 to 40mph range. In terms of time we arrived at the upper parking at the same time.
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

Thanks all - super helpful.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I did the saddle but manly because I was alone going down that route. If there were others doing it I might not have gone that route due to possible rock fall.
To me the route is not as hard as people say but it might be wise to avoid is you are new or if others are coming down behind you.

Good luck!
Strider29
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Strider29 »

I descended that saddle a couple years ago sans snow ( around this time of year) and it was the most sleeved out I’ve been anywhere on any peak, just felt like the whole thing was going to slide off with me on top of it. We made it, but in hindsight I probably would’ve went back over Castle.
thomasdavem1
14ers: 41  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thomasdavem1 »

That saddle is pretty gnarly - every time I've been up there there's always a few groups trying to take it down and they end up triggering rock/scree slides every 20 feet or so. I'd personally only go that route if there was snow to glissade.
The downclimb off Castle is pretty fun anyways!
Dasterjik
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dasterjik »

I love camping with my family, we often go where it's warmer. This time we went in the middle of summer, and the purpose of our camping was a place near the beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, which you can admire https://www.montaregio.de/de/freizeit/f ... lgaeu.html On one side of the mountain, on the other side of the lake. What we didn't do during the 3 days of our camping, we took a bus to the castle itself, there are many tourists there, visited the village of Schwangau, an Alpine lake, so beautiful, pure blue. Of the minuses, probably, only that it's cool at night, and it's very hot in the tent during the day, and on the street too. It would seem camping, spending the night in a tent, and how many pleasant impressions!