Weekend Warrior 14ers FKT

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
quinnwolf
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 55 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Weekend Warrior 14ers FKT

Post by quinnwolf »

Here's an interesting idea. What about a 14ers FKT for the weekend warrior with a full time job? I think the rules would be the same for the normal 14ers FKT, but with the following additions:
1. You can only summit on Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day) (or the nearest Friday or Monday if 4th of July is on a Sat/Sun).
2. You must be at least 3000' below the summit on Saturday morning at midnight and by Monday morning at midnight (and the equivalent for the national holidays).
3. You can't leave the Denver/CS metro area (or equivalent home base?) before 4pm on Friday afternoon and must return to the Denver/CS metro area by 7am on Monday morning (and the equivalent for national holidays).
4. Maybe you get 1 day of PTO as a flex day to use anytime you want (but rules 2 and 3 still apply).
Can you think of any other good rules to add on?
What are some of the logistical nightmares? (highway traffic and Chicago basin come immediately to mind)
How long do you think it would take? It probably could be done between 4th of July and Labor Day.
Has this, or something similar, been done? Does anybody want to claim this FKT?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Weekend Warrior 14ers FKT

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Yes
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

quinnwolf wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:08 pm Here's an interesting idea. What about a 14ers FKT for the weekend warrior with a full time job? I think the rules would be the same for the normal 14ers FKT, but with the following additions:
1. You can only summit on Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day) (or the nearest Friday or Monday if 4th of July is on a Sat/Sun).
2. You must be at least 3000' below the summit on Saturday morning at midnight and by Monday morning at midnight (and the equivalent for the national holidays).
3. You can't leave the Denver/CS metro area (or equivalent home base?) before 4pm on Friday afternoon and must return to the Denver/CS metro area by 7am on Monday morning (and the equivalent for national holidays).
4. Maybe you get 1 day of PTO as a flex day to use anytime you want (but rules 2 and 3 still apply).
Can you think of any other good rules to add on?
What are some of the logistical nightmares? (highway traffic and Chicago basin come immediately to mind)
How long do you think it would take? It probably could be done between 4th of July and Labor Day.
Has this, or something similar, been done? Does anybody want to claim this FKT?
Whats next? The right handed, lawyers only, east coast college graduate FKT?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

The mean guy has a valid underlying point, it's a nice idea but maybe a bit specific. I would suggest something more like, "weekend warrior" FKT that doesn't count time spent not on the trail, and must be completed within a certain calendar period (one year? one season? the longer the period, the more inclusive to travelers) and with no outing exceeding N hours (48? 36? 24? the lower the number, the more inclusive to travelers)
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

No. 3 is too focused on Den/COS. Which is the norm. But wrong. Think you have generalize... can't leave home or work until 4 p.m. on a Friday, etc.
Chicago Basin, I think using a few work vacation days is acceptable, and maybe for a few others.
If out-of-staters want to participate...they'll need more time/days to travel.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i made some slight changes, but here is my offering for the 9-5 crowd:
1. You can only summit on Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day) (or the nearest Friday or Monday if 4th of July is on a Sat/Sun)
2. You must begin at least 3000' below the summit
3. You can't leave home/"base" before 5pm on Friday afternoon and must return to base by 12am* on Monday morning (or Tuesday for observed/national holidays)
4. 3 days (can be used as half-days) of "PTO" as flex days to use anytime you want
*the whole premise of weekend warrior-ing is that you have to be back at work, working on monday morning... definitely open to discussion on this one, but midnight sunday/monday morning seems more realistic

i guarantee this can be done in a single season, but the real question is:
can a non-weekend warrior participate in this FKT? (and would they even want to?)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I think "FKTs" are best when free of most qualifiers and adjectives, except for "elegant."

That said, I could see an interest in what sort of time and effort an "everyday" person could put in. As far as rules, even weekday efforts are accessible, e.g. an early morning or after work summer jaunt up Front Range 14ers. And then, what of seasonal workers (including teachers), shift-workers, self-employed, students? Those would be compelling efforts as well that comprise a large portion of the workforce.

But after that I realize that it quickly becomes a projection of "relatability," if not an inquiry into values. I'm more interested in reading if someone does it in a (healthy) relationship, with kids (plural, you see; with involved parenting not dumped on partner/in-laws)...and then the job has to meet some criteria I'm not sure about, but they should be invested in it and good at it. And I'm projecting this now despite not meeting all or any of those criteria at other points, if ever. Also, sometimes when people have more time you have fewer other safety net resources like money and relationships.

This is tongue-in-cheek, but the point is about projection that we do outside of simple, superlative FKTs. I'm not sure about an "FKT" aspect, but I think there are some different paths to interesting stories. I'd be interested in those stories moreso than wondering if somebody "beat" somebody else like that by mere hours or days.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

this has more the feel of a "project" or "challenge" than an "FKT". if you want to establish a bunch of artificial constraints and then hold yourself to them personally in pursuit of a goal, then go for it. but an actual FKT should at least theoretically be accessible to as many people as possible, other than unavoidable constraints like geographic location, weather, etc.

the rules listed already exclude a whole bunch of people who might make a potential attempt, like people who work on weekends, people living outside Denver (or wherever else might qualify as a "home base") and so on. an FKT should have the same relative objective difficulty for anyone attempting it, it should be primarily dependent on their fitness and ability, not their work hours or the location of their home. there's nothing wrong with establishing a challenge of summiting every 14er on a weekend or from your homebase, but it doesn't seem useful to compare times of people doing this challenge while living in Denver to someone who lives out of the back of a van.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Counterpoint: not everything has to be a competition.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Weekend Warrior, 14ers in 24h challenge/FKT. Have at it, see what you can do.
http://ericjlee.com/Blogs/?p=2242

Note: Full time 40-50h/wk employed Biotech scientist. You can do a lot as a weekend warrior, just takes a certain amount of dedication.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

This is like wanting to create a non-athlete Olympics for people who don't want to put in the work/sacrifice to compete in the regular event, but aren't disabled enough for the special Olympics. It's cool if you want to do as much as you can with your personal constraints, but us 9-5 types don't need our own special prize.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

justiner wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am Counterpoint: not everything has to be a competition.
True that. It has taken me 20 years now to climb about 37 of the 14ers. I wish I had more time but I am not sure it would be as much fun if I could climb whenever I wanted to. Or maybe it would. Part of the fun is the intense planning and preparation and anticipation of the trip.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6